What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very nice. There is almost never a need to to send full sized photos to a website. Most people are viewing them on mobile devices or lower resolution displays anyway.

Good luck with the tech today.

Tech number 4 (counting the original phone tech) turned it over to Cable Repair this morning and at 8:00 PM the cable repairman just left, saying it should be OK now.

We live in a difficult place for utilities. There is a long 15+ mile road running on the west side of a 2 mile wide lagoon. Actually the east coast of the Florida mainland. To the east of that is a barrier island and then the ocean. To the west is a wetlands preserve. In between the two are a string of houses, mostly on 25-50 acre lots. There are about 4 short dead end streets where before zoning people subdivided their lots. I'm on a half acre in a fishing cottage built in 1950, about 200ft from the water. I got it at a steal price when the market hit a low. I'm also 35 feet above sea level on top of an ancient sand dune.

We affectionately call it the "slave quarters" because our homes are so tiny compared to the mansions that line the road.

It's a beautiful place to live, but (1) because of the salt water, the phone cable (and everything else) corrodes a lot and (2) because with the huge lots and virtually no side streets, the phone company doesn't pass many homes per mile, so replacing the cable would take decades to pay for itself. (It's been needed over 20 years now). Since corporations run on quarterly earnings reports, they don't want to put that much money into replacing what should have been replaced years ago, so they just keep patching it up again and again and again and again and again.

Ah, the price of living in almost paradise.

Here's another picture of the same Woodstork. I take plenty of long and medium shots before i get the close ups, just in case they get spooked and flee.

P1000990 small.jpg

Not my house but my neighborhood

IRDrive Map.jpg

My neighborhood from the air.

IRDrive.jpg

Because of the water, we live in a micro-climate where it's typically a bit cooler in the summertime and a bit warmer in the winter. I've seen a lot of wildlife passing though my yard through the years, bobcats, fox, coyote, Sandhill cranes, rabbits, snakes, racoons, opossums, and so on.

It's worth the price of lousy phone service to live in such a beautiful area.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tech number 4 (counting the original phone tech) turned it over to Cable Repair this morning and at 8:00 PM the cable repairman just left, saying it should be OK now...............

We live in a difficult place for utilities. There is a long 15+ mile road running on the west side of a 2 mile wide lagoon. Actually the east coast of the Florida mainland.

Hey Bob - now I'm pretty familiar w/ the east coast of Florida (and we've exchanged some posts, especially in my travelogue on Ft. Lauderdale), but just trying to get a better impression of your location - I dropped a few red pins on 'Indian River' and seems to be about half way between Palm Beach & the Kennedy Space Ctr (map attached) - correct?

I've been to the space center a few times and when my in-laws lived in Delray Beach, Susan & I used to drive up to Jupiter to lunch at a restaurant we liked and to also visit the state park there and do a boat ride looking for manatees - never saw one! ;) Dave
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 9.02.37 PM.png

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tech number 4 (counting the original phone tech) turned it over to Cable Repair this morning and at 8:00 PM the cable repairman just left, saying it should be OK now. <...snip...>

It's still going off and on :( there will be another here in the morning

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Bob - now I'm pretty familiar w/ the east coast of Florida (and we've exchanged some posts, especially in my travelogue on Ft. Lauderdale), but just trying to get a better impression of your location - I dropped a few red pins on 'Indian River' and seems to be about half way between Palm Beach & the Kennedy Space Ctr (map attached) - correct?

I've been to the space center a few times and when my in-laws lived in Delray Beach, Susan & I used to drive up to Jupiter to lunch at a restaurant we liked and to also visit the state park there and do a boat ride looking for manatees - never saw one! ;) Dave
View attachment 65566

Closer to Palm Beach. About 50 m north. Unincorporated county. It used to be a non-incorporated town called Suzanna, now it has no name.

Your pins are close, just a little too far north. Good detective work!

IndianRiverDrive.JPG

The picture is a bit overexposed and from a phone.

I grew up in Pompano Beach and moved up here when it got too crowded down there. It's getting crowded here too, but I'm not moving any further North. I'm at the northernmost place where tropical vegetation grows in the state.

Last edited:

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They're all nice Johanna, but the last one (cropped) really stunned me. Well done!!!

The white flowers, are they morning glories?

We have something similar, related to morning glories that is called a moon flower. In the right conditions, it opens in about 5 seconds at dusk.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're all nice Johanna, but the last one (cropped) really stunned me. Well done!!!

The white flowers, are they morning glories?

We have something similar, related to morning glories that is called a moon flower. In the right conditions, it opens in about 5 seconds at dusk.
Thank you! :)

The white flowers are called "larger bindweed". It's a climbing plant. While it has nice flowers, it's considered a noxious weed, because of it's rapid growth.

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you! :)

The white flowers are called "larger bindweed". It's a climbing plant. While it has nice flowers, it's considered a noxious weed, because of it's rapid growth.

Our Moon Flower vine thinks the world would be a better place if the entire planet was covered in moon vine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea_alba

Watching the flowers open is fun, because it only takes about 5 seconds when the conditions are right. It's like watching a time-lapse film. They open at dusk, and fade in the morning heat.

Most reactions

Latest posts