What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm stuck in an infinite recovery loop.

Jayamiko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been poking around this forum for a while now, looking for possible solutions, and none of them have seemed to work. Maybe there's something I missed, but in case there isn't, I wanted to ask about my problem. I wanted to upgrade my iPad 2 from 5.1.1 to the newest firmware but, as stated above, am now stuck in a recovery loop. I've tried TinyUmbrella's exit recovery feature, and that didn't work; it simply booted the ipad back into a blank screen, then the recovery screen pops up again and a new Recovery Device number pops up on the left. This has happened every time I've tried to do this, with more and more numbers popping into the pane on the left. In iTunes, I'm getting "the ipad could not be restored an unknown error occurred (21)" messages after attempting to do a full system restore. I've assured that my hosts file is commented out so gs. apple. com/ doesn't point to Cydia. I also cannot switch the ipad off by pressing the power + home buttons; the same thing happens here that happens with TinyUmbrella (black screen, then back to recovery). I'm getting pretty frustrated. I use my iPad for my work, as it is easier to lug around than a laptop, so having it crash out like this is, to put it mildly, pretty inconvenient. I'm currently trying to do a restore through redsn0w (as explained in ipadforums. net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/92572-tutorial-re-restore-ios-5-x-ipad2-ipad3-using-redsn0w-shsh-blobs. html), but if that doesn't work I will be pretty much out of ideas. If anyone here has any suggestions or insights, please let me know. Thanks much.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to welcome you to the iPad Forums, an amazing online community in which iPad users alike from all walks of life come together to discuss the very piece of technology this website is name after, iPad. We hope you enjoy the forum.

We ask that you read and abide by the iPadForums rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html
Check out the iPF app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
I recommend subscribing to the iPF news feed.
Apple iPad News
For all your iPad FAQ.
iPad FAQ
iPad reviews are all right here.
iPad Reviews
Information for new members:
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...r-please-read-before-starting-new-thread.html

Once again, we are so pleased you have joined us!

Goofy8275 - User of iPadForums

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you reset the iPad? Try resetting it and hold the volume up button until it completely boots up. That may get you out of boot loop. If it starts up, I would remove any tweaks you recently installed. If not, then do a backup (not sync), then restore. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
J

Jayamiko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot reset the ipad, no. If I hold the Home button + Sleep button, the ipad just goes back for a moment, before showing the apple logo then the recovery screen (itunes logo with a USB cord beneath it. Thanks for the response, though. It was something I hadn't tried yet(holding the volume button), so it gave me a tiny bit of hope for a second or two.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You didn't mention if you've tried restoring using this tutorial by my fellow moderator, f4780y: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html. So, maybe start over with this?

If you follow all the steps exactly as written, you should end up with a stock iPad running the newest iOS (iOS 6.1.2 as of this writing).

Oh, and if you can, make a backup, first, so you don't lose your data and settings.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I cannot reset the ipad, no. If I hold the Home button + Sleep button, the ipad just goes back for a moment, before showing the apple logo then the recovery screen (itunes logo with a USB cord beneath it. Thanks for the response, though. It was something I hadn't tried yet(holding the volume button), so it gave me a tiny bit of hope for a second or two.

If your iPad is connected to your computer, holding home + sleep will shut it off, but since it's connected to your PC, it'll boot back up. See if you can put your device into DFU mode and such by following the sticky that Marilyn's posted above.

jiongweilua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I would just like to share with everyone a solution which worked for me.
I was on a jailbroken iPad 2 (5.1.1) and I attempted to upgrade to iOS 6.1.3
1) Update your iTunes to latest version (for me it is 11.0.2)
2) Turn your iPad to DFU mode (please google online on how to do it, and ensure you get the timing right!!!!)
3) Plug in your iPad to your computer in DFU mode, let it download the latest firmware 6.1.3
4) Click restore after DL --> everything should work already :D
Hope it helps.

mlagirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All all these steps ensure that my data and media is not erased? I'm also stuck on the recovery iTunes logo, and I haven't restored via iTunes cos I'm scared I will,lose my data. Is there any way to restore without losing data on my ipad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All all these steps ensure that my data and media is not erased? I'm also stuck on the recovery iTunes logo, and I haven't restored via iTunes cos I'm scared I will,lose my data. Is there any way to restore without losing data on my ipad?

Your data and settings will always be erased when you restore as iTunes wipes the iPad clean to put the new iOS on it. However, if you have a [relatively] recent backup saved, you can restore from that backup. This will make your iPad just like it was before (well, except with an updated iOS).

However, if your iPad is stuck in a recovery loop and you can't access it to make a back-up (and you don't already have a backup made from before) - then I'm afraid that yes, you will lose your data and media. If it came from Wpple (iBooks, movies, etc), you'll be able to re-download it, but everything else will be gone.

If you don't have a backup, have you tried accessing the iPad via iTunes? When it's in recovery mode, yes, iTunes will recognize it as such as tell you. But, you do not have to accept the prompt. Maybe if you decline the offer to upgrade, you'll then have an opportunity to do a backup...?

There is also some third-part software (e.g. iExplorer or iFunBox, etc.) that might help in getting your data and other media off. No guarantees.

Unfortunately, the only safe way to upgrade without losing everything is to make a backup, restore and then put the backup back on the iPad. Without a backup, there's no promises. Sorry.

Marilyn

mlagirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn for your help, my iPad has been successful! What worked for me was the fail safe method posted here....I got the error 3194 and I them edited the hosts file and everything was ok from then. Plus all my data is intact, I'm so happy!

Most reactions