What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IFR Approach Plate app?

craiglaporte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an IFR Approach Plate app for I-pad that allows downloading of NACO Instrument Approach charts?

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A little bit different question than the one I tried to answer before. Take a look at this app:

ForeFlight: iPhone and iPad software applications for pilots with aviation weather, AFD, flight plan filing, METARs, TAFs and more

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it doesn't cost anything to check it out. I looked at the trial a while back and it looked good. I'm not actively flying so I couldn't justify the ongoing cost.

You can be assured that there will be more iPad offerings as time goes on.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several if you want this as PDF files. Use something like goodreader to access them. Foreflight is the more elegant way to get them. Also check out Skycharts (I think that's the name). Aluminum kneeboards for the iPad are at iPad Kneeboards for Pilots.

circle to land

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been researching charts & plates for iPad for three weeks. There are three integrated sources for NACO charts & plates: (1) Fore Flight HD, which I have on my iPhone & it works logically & quickly & no faults. I use it for pre flight planning. (2) Sky Charts Pro. You can find a demo on U-Tube. It also appears to work well, but not as slick or as well organized as FF HD. More cumbersome to download NACO stuff as well. (3) Flight Guide iEFB. I used to use some of their printed stuff but found customer service severely lacking. Negative option renewal. Very hard to reach. I'm guessing tech support could be a nightmare. All three offer geo referenced charts.

Btuccio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Iterps

Iterps for iPad and iPhone is cheapest, simplest app for ifr approaches. $4.99 and only .99 cents for months you need all US charts.

Search app store on iterps

Rotorhead8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skycharts is by far my favorite app. Extremely useful, and the developer is very open to ideas... Check out the forum on skycharts.net

ccougar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an active IFR pilot, I have been trying to go paperless for quite a while. Finally with the advent of the iPad, this may be possible. After researching all the current products, I came to the conclusion the ForeFlight HD was the most mature and reliable way to go. So far, I am very happy with the approach chart presentation, but less impressed with the IFR enroute charts. These are OK until one enters a congested terminal area, where these charts are so cluttered they are unusable. Unlike the approach plates, the zoom feature of the iPad does not work with enroute charts from ForeFlight. Anyone interested in seeing what I mean can select the KPOC airport, then switch to the low altitude enroute chart and examine the airway structure just south of there. Does anyone think they could navigate through this area under IMC conditions with a little turbulence. Forget it! I have talked with ForeFlight and they don't seem to have a solution right now. The thing I most like about ForeFlight is the ease of keeping everything up to date. It can't be any easier. The product is also a bargain at only $75 per year. With a couple of improvements, I would gladly pay twice this amount. The same data from Jeppesen would cost ten times as much. Anyway, aside from the readability of enroute charts, I think ForeFlight is the pick of the litter.

Last edited:

CL601pilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wingx is available for $99 a year and If you get the Seattle Aviation package it's an additional $99 a year iPad will use your gps position for a moving map display.

Jonessr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using an application called iChart. For about $50 a year you get all sectionals, Low Enroute, TCAs, Arival and depatrure procedures and approach plates for the lower 48 states.

Most reactions