What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying which apps need internet access

rwgw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new ipad 2 arrives next week and I will be going shopping in the itunes store for some apps. How can I distinguish those that will need internet access to operatre from those that are totally self contained once downloaded?

Thanks

Rob

OP
R

rwgw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Wouldn't you think that it should be mandatory to provide information if an app can work offline or must have an Internet connect to function?

Arrowflash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no indicator separating offline/online apps, so you will have to rely on common sense, or read the apps description.

I'm facing a problem right now. I want to buy an app, but it is important for me to know that such app does not require Internet access.
The app is for a child, and she does not use the Internet.

I don't know why such info is not displayed on the requirement field.

Is there any alternative site to gather such of info?

zerowords

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no indicator separating offline/online apps, so you will have to rely on common sense, or read the apps description.

I am just trying to revive this thread to find out if there is now such an indicator of whether an app is offline capable, or if someone can elaborate on the "common sense" alluded to in the quote.

If there is no such indicator, then my "common sense" suggest the following.

Free game apps are only playable offline if they allow for online purchases, because if not, then the ads would require an internet connection. On the other hand I would not be surprised to find some such free apps WITH online purchases that also require an online connection. So the implication is not exactly helpful.

Also, I wonder if most non-free apps which permit offline use would say so in their description.

TIA,

Brian in Atlanta

zerowords

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I am just trying to revive this thread to find out if there is now such an indicator of whether an app is offline capable, or if someone can elaborate on the "common sense" alluded to in the quote.

If there is no such indicator, then my "common sense" suggest the following.

Free game apps are only playable offline if they allow for online purchases, because if not, then the ads would require an internet connection. On the other hand I would not be surprised to find some such free apps WITH online purchases that also require an online connection. So the implication is not exactly helpful.

Also, I wonder if most non-free apps which permit offline use would say so in their description.

TIA,

Brian in Atlanta

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's entirely up to the developer, and as far as I know there is no way to tell for sure without running the game.

However, in most cases games will not stop working just because they can't get ads from the internet. They may do some weird things when trying to display the adds, but will still work.

Games that require multiplayer interaction may or may not have an offline mode. That will usually be mentioned in the games' description on the App Store.

Most reactions

Latest posts