What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID mixup

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Owing to confusion when setting up my iPad accounts, my iCloud user ID is different from my regular Apple ID, and I don't know how to correct this. Of course my iCloud isn't working while this disagreement exists.

When I sign in to appleid.apple.com it simply tells me that 'this ID is already in use'. Well, I know that, but just want to get all my ID names to agree.

Can anyone advise me on how to do this please?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, there is no reason why you can't have separate iCloud and Apple ID's. Sign into the iCloud account in iCloud settings, and use the Apple ID everywhere else. Or they can be the same. Up to you.

If you've already created an iCloud account separate from the Apple ID, you can not merge them. You'll just have to abandon the current iCloud account and create a new iCloud account using your Apple ID.

Apple IDs and iCloud

OP
P

purbrookian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poet, I'm afraid that the Verizon reps who set up my system were so incompetent that I have different user IDs and passwords everywhere.

What I'd like to do is to clear everything out of my iPad, iMac, and Macbook, and start over with one new user ID and password. Can you tell me how I would go about this please. I'm in a real mess here.

Thank you.

Nick

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poet, I'm afraid that the Verizon reps who set up my system were so incompetent that I have different user IDs and passwords everywhere.

What I'd like to do is to clear everything out of my iPad, iMac, and Macbook, and start over with one new user ID and password. Can you tell me how I would go about this please. I'm in a real mess here.

Thank you.

Nick

Sign out of all your accounts on each device, then sign in an choose create new ID, Use the new ID when signing in on all devices including iTunes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have apps or content purchased using one or more of the ID's, you'll need to hang on to them, even if you don't use them daily. Updates and re-downloads can not be done without those ID's.

Rather than creating a new Apple ID, pick the one that has the most purchases associated with it (or at least the most of whatever purchases you care about). Set that up on all your devices, as Bosvaak suggested.

If you need to update or download content from one of the other ID's, you can temporarily sign out and back into the store (at the bottom of each iStore app) with that ID. Just keep track of what you are doing.

There are several places on the iPad and other devices where your Apple ID is used. Each affects something different. You'll have to hunt down each one and change it there.

Every iStore app (on computer and iOS devices) has it's own sign in. They affect only that store for purchases and updates.

Settings > Store, in iOS: This affects automatic downloads when purchases are made from other devices.

iCloud Settings, affect only the iCloud services on that device or computer.

FaceBook and Messages: affect only your ability to make and receive calls

There may be more. But the general rule is, the ID only affects the app or service you are setting it in.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts