What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud (very new to this, please help)

Turbopronto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there!

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up very soon and I have an idea of what exactly I want to gift her - it's an iPad air 4th gen 2020 (rose gold if that changes anything). All my life I've been involved only with android or Microsoft Windows programmes, never in my life have I had an iPhone, iPad or any of the other Apple products. So I have two questions I want to ask - should I get the iPad air that I mentioned before or just the regular iPad, what would be the big difference between those two? And the second question - is it going to be possible for when she receives the new iPad to transfer all the save files, all the pictures, all the e-mails and everything possible from the previous old iPad to the brand new one?

Cannot wait for your response!

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The base iPad ($329) is fine if it will be for everyday activities such as web browsing, email, Netflix, etc.

The iPad Air is more powerful, and would be appropriate if doing stuff like video editing that demands more resources. It also has a nicer screen and more storage.

If you sync the old iPad to iCloud, you can restore everything to the new one during setup.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
T

Turbopronto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The base iPad ($329) is fine if it will be for everyday activities such as web browsing, email, Netflix, etc.

The iPad Air is more powerful, and would be appropriate if doing stuff like video editing that demands more resources. It also has a nicer screen and more storage.

If you sync the old iPad to iCloud, you can restore everything to the new one during setup.
Alright, thank you guys for the quick response. One more question - is the iPad and iPad air going to support the new iOS versions further down into the future or is this the final iOS they're going to have?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple provides updates for iDevices for quite a few years. Just an example:
I own an iPad Pro (first generation), which came out in 2015. It‘s running iPadOS 14 and will be able to run iPadOS 15 as well.

Even if a device doesn‘t get the latest software, it might still get security updates, from time to time. My daughter has an iPad Air (also 1st generation) from 2013. it came with iOS 7, and now has iOS 12.5.3 installed. The last update, a security update, was released this May.

OP
T

Turbopronto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple provides updates for iDevices for quite a few years. Just an example:
I own an iPad Pro (first generation), which came out in 2015. It‘s running iPadOS 14 and will be able to run iPadOS 15 as well.

Even if a device doesn‘t get the latest software, it might still get security updates, from time to time. My daughter has an iPad Air (also 1st generation) from 2013. it came with iOS 7, and now has iOS 12.5.3 installed. The last update, a security update, was released this May.
Thanks, this answers all my questions I had. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts