What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud Restore?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iCloud backup is a welcome new feature in iOS 5 but there is no Restore option. Not that I can find anyway.

I think that a restore from iCloud occurs only after wiping the iPad and starting again. Is this correct?

This seems to be an age old problem with backups. They start out as an all or nothing thing then the developers recognize that a partial restore (i.e. control over what is to be restored) is often what users really want.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think there is a way to restore... I haven't managed to find a way. I've also asked the same question in another thread with no answer.. This iCloud doesn't seem ready for prime time yet. I wish Apple would release an iCloud manual with at least a few rudimentary instructions.

danhcross

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can restore, but it is not obvious how.

This is what you do:

Make sure you have an icloud backup. You can check this in general settings (not on your computer).

Once you're sure you have an icloud backup, reset your device to factory default. Then, when you are setting up the device again, it gives you the option of restoring from an icloud backup.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you're sure you have an icloud backup, reset your device to factory default. Then, when you are setting up the device again, it gives you the option of restoring from an icloud backup.

That's my point, the only option seems to be to reset the iPad and restore everything.

marynorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, this is major issue for me. I just got a new PC, and if I want to load more video onto my iPad, I'm going to have to wipe and restore from the back-up. Fingers crossed The Game Centre won't lose my high scores and the paid extras on my freemium games. But I'm almost certain I'm going to lose all the ebooks I have on Stanza - my Dropbox doesn't have most of them in there any more (space issues), and once I upgrade to OS5, the Calibre/Dropbox/Stanza dream team is borked anyway.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
marynorn said:
Yep, this is major issue for me. I just got a new PC, and if I want to load more video onto my iPad, I'm going to have to wipe and restore from the back-up. Fingers crossed The Game Centre won't lose my high scores and the paid extras on my freemium games. But I'm almost certain I'm going to lose all the ebooks I have on Stanza - my Dropbox doesn't have most of them in there any more (space issues), and once I upgrade to OS5, the Calibre/Dropbox/Stanza dream team is borked anyway.

Why do you need to wipe your iPad in order to add more video? Are you wanting to add video from your new pc to your iPad?

marynorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jockscrap said:
Why do you need to wipe your iPad in order to add more video? Are you wanting to add video from your new pc to your iPad?

I use CineXPlayer so I can watch avi files on my iPad. To load avi files onto my iPad, I have to sync it to my PC. Unfortunately, you can only sync an iPad to one PC, and attempting to sync it to a new PC results in the above dilemma - sync, which will wipe any game scores not saved in the game centre and any content that hasn't been/can't be backed up, or stop syncing your iPad and live with what can be downloaded from other sources.

Abbass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can manage your Apple ID on Apple website. Add your current email and make it the primary email for your account.

Most reactions