What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud Backup Size - More Than Doubled Overnight?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi all - on an iPad Air 2 w/ iOS 10.2.1 - backup to my MBPro via iTunes and also to iCloud w/ my free 5 GB of storage - yesterday at 5 PM, the cloud backup was 1.47 GB w/ 3.6 GB free - signed into my iCloud account and the same information is there. The 'free' storage on the iPad is the same as yesterday and nothing much has been added.

Tonight, I received the message that I needed to buy extra iCloud storage (never an issue after > 2 years of using this iDevice) - the 'next backup size' was calculated and was 4.25 GB, well over 2X my previous backups (see attached screen capture) - I 'Reset' the iPad and got the same 'next size' - any comments would be appreciated - thanks. Dave :)
IMG_7790.PNG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Well, I had a 'private' Photo Manager app on my iPad which had over 2 GB of medium res images - these were intentionally 'excluded' from my iCloud backup (to keep me under the free 5 GB limit) - the app must have gotten corrupted and the iPad was 'seeing' those images as needing to be saved to the cloud - SO, backed up the images to two different USB drives and deleted the app - recovered about 3 GB of storage and then did an iCloud backup that was only 1.6 GB in size.

NOW, I need to find another Photo storage app w/ password protection and get those images back onto the iPad - thanks for any follow-up comments. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi SciFan.. - well, that would be the best solution but I had an older version in which the backup to an app called iFunBox stopped working - had to use a few tricks to get my newer images off the iPad; several newer versions are available on the App Store for a cost (Photo Manager Pro & Photo Manager Pro 5 - not sure of the differences but the prices are $10 & $3, respectively) - plus, a LOT of 1* ratings for this newest version - thus, not enthused to go that route - I'll do some looking there to see what else may be available? Dave :)

P.S. also, found the message below about my version which help dissuade me to continue w/ this developer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.28.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.28.07 PM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 510
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, for those who may be interested in this thread - I downloaded Private Photo (see arrowed attachment) but could not figure out how to get my saved files into the app easily - was frustrating - SO, 'bit the bullet' and purchased Photo Manager Pro 5 (despite the negative reviews mentioned in my previous posting) - the new version of this app uses iTunes File Sharing and I quickly was able to transfer 4 folders of image files via cabled iTunes back to the iPad from my USB drive hooked into my MBPro - took a few minutes but worked - I was actually astounded! Not sure how good this new version may be but I'm back in business - my iCloud backup was about the same as before (i.e. excluding the data in this photo app) - Dave :)
IMG_7929.PNG

Most reactions