What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks word look-up in languages other than English...

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been breaking the rust off of my Russian and was looking to make a few purchases of Russian language books. Is there a way to get iBooks to support dictionary search for words other than English written in Latin script? Russian is written in Cyrillic script.

Help? Anyone?

Пожалуйста? :eek:

Я был бы очень признателен. :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you could go into Settings >> General >> Keyboards > International and add the Russian keyboard. That might do something. It shows spelling suggestions in Pages when using the Russian keyboard, so there has to be some kind of dictionary loaded.

More extreme, you could go into Settings >> General >> Language and change it to Русский. But you better remember enough of your Russian to be able to navigate the iPad, because it will convert the entire system to cyrillic.

But it probably would work.

BTW, to switch keyboards once you have more than one available, just hit the little world key next to the space key. The name of the newly selected keyboard will show briefly on the space key.

benedict1938

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same question re: Latin. My Kindle handles a default Latin dictionary by changing the settings and having a .mobi file Latin dictionary on the device. Can this not be done on iPad? Real drawback if not. Anyone know for sure?

Most reactions

Latest posts