What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibooks won't open a pdf

HeidiLehmanan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what i think is ipad has it is own particular viewer to view pdf that run pdf smoothly and efficiently with out any bugs!

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well.... One week later and the same problem occurred. I've tried the "close and restart" solution and it won't work this time. When I try to open a PDF file with iBooks it appears briefly in the library (2 seconds) and then disappears. I can read the file in Adobe and in Dropbox but it won't open in iBooks. Guess I'll try rebooting the iPad and see what happens.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kaylajean said:
Well.... One week later and the same problem occurred. I've tried the "close and restart" solution and it won't work this time. When I try to open a PDF file with iBooks it appears briefly in the library (2 seconds) and then disappears. I can read the file in Adobe and in Dropbox but it won't open in iBooks. Guess I'll try rebooting the iPad and see what happens.

Please make sure the file name ends properly with the *.pdf. Also when you are scanning files to go into the iPad, your scanning software may keep the same name as previously named file but in Windows it would be something like: glory(2).pdf. iBooks will have a hard time reading it, but Dropbox and other programs will not.

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked the file names in Dropbox and they all have .pdf at the end of the name. They open nicely in Adobe Reader and show the .pdf there as well. The files I have managed to save in iBooks are not called .pdf for some reason.

For example... In Dropbox or Adobe it is called "Glory.pdf" and when I click on the button in the upper right hand corner it says "open in" so I choose iBooks. It flashes briefly in iBooks and then disappears.

Oh... And the reboot did no help.

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found that if I shut iBooks off completely I can "open in" iBooks from Dropbox by doing one hymn at a time. I save one, close iBooks (using the "x" method, not just fingers close, and then save another... One at a time. This is not the way iBooks is supposed to work, I think.

Most reactions