What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibooks won't open a pdf

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have saved about 100 hymns that I use for church. I save them as PDF files and add new entries every week by using Dropbox. Each hymn is about a meg. Today I added 2 new hymns by opening them in Dropbox and then moving them over to iBooks. The 3rd hymn wouldn't save as an iBook pdf document. I see the file for a second in iBooks and then it disappears. Have I reached a limit of some sort?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kay.... - welcome to the forum! :)

Just for a start, please provide the model number of the iPad that you own & the storage capacity (i.e. GB on your device).

Also, navigate to the 'Settings' tab -> General -> Usage - there, tell us how many GBs have been used & what is still available?

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding and thanks as well for the welcome. It's a 64GB and the usage says 19.4 used and 37.8 available. In the iBooks section I have 152 MB.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What version of IOS are you using and have you updated iBooks, it's possible you need an update.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for responding and thanks as well for the welcome. It's a 64GB and the usage says 19.4 used and 37.8 available. In the iBooks section I have 152 MB.

Well appears that you have PLENTY of space left to use; I would first suggest 'Force Closing' iBooks & Dropbox, i.e. double tap the home button (or use multifinger gesturing - swipe up w/ 4-5 fingers on the screen) - this will open the multitask bar @ the bottom; press on any app until all begin to jiggle; find the 2 apps in question and press the 'minus sign' to close each - return to the home screen and re-open the apps.

If the above is not successful, then 'Restart' and if not effective 'Reset' the iPad - Directions HERE if unfamiliar w/ the procedures - please post back your results - good luck!

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thought have you checked if they open in a PDF reader off the iPad , it is possible the files are corrupt or their is a font problem with in the PDF

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That worked! I did the Force Closing as you described and it worked just fine. Thanks!
Those were very clear and detailed instructions. You rule!

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding as well Bos. The PDF file would open in Adobe Reader but not in iBooks. I closed all 3 programs and it opened in iBooks and saved in my library.

BTW if anyone has a better idea on how to collect and set up music I'd be glad to hear it. Right now I'm scanning from the hymnal and saving each sheet of music as a PDF file.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
kaylajean said:
Thanks for responding as well Bos. The PDF file would open in Adobe Reader but not in iBooks. I closed all 3 programs and it opened in iBooks and saved in my library.

BTW if anyone has a better idea on how to collect and set up music I'd be glad to hear it. Right now I'm scanning from the hymnal and saving each sheet of music as a PDF file.

You could google for song lyrics, and copy/paste the results into Pages. You can then save as a .pdf.

OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The google idea is a good one for a song I might not have, but I have collected song sheets and collections for years and now would rather prop the iPad up on the piano and play from there rather than lug all my music around with me. I'm scanning a few sheets at a time and saving each one in iBooks. I was just wondering if anyone had a better way to save and collect the pages on the iPad. Thanks for the google suggestion tho'.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a musicians section where you might ask your question. Didn't realize you wanted the sheet music.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That worked! I did the Force Closing as you described and it worked just fine. Thanks!
Those were very clear and detailed instructions. You rule!

Great Kay... - glad just a simple solution for you; those steps listed are the ones I typically do w/ a misbehaving app - often solves the problem - :)

abbeysnana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well appears that you have PLENTY of space left to use; I would first suggest 'Force Closing' iBooks & Dropbox, i.e. double tap the home button (or use multifinger gesturing - swipe up w/ 4-5 fingers on the screen) - this will open the multitask bar @ the bottom; press on any app until all begin to jiggle; find the 2 apps in question and press the 'minus sign' to close each - return to the home screen and re-open the apps.

If the above is not successful, then 'Restart' and if not effective 'Reset' the iPad - if unfamiliar w/ the procedures - please post back your results - good luck!

Thanks for this!! A friend was having the same problem with epubs.........dropbox to ipad had been working perfectly then suddenly epubs would not open.

A reset did the trick.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kaylajean said:
The google idea is a good one for a song I might not have, but I have collected song sheets and collections for years and now would rather prop the iPad up on the piano and play from there rather than lug all my music around with me. I'm scanning a few sheets at a time and saving each one in iBooks. I was just wondering if anyone had a better way to save and collect the pages on the iPad. Thanks for the google suggestion tho'.

Hello Kaylajean, you have gotten some excellent problem resolutions on malfunctioning apps. Now you are asking for a better way...

I am a singer and sing in two choirs, church and symphony chorus, so I use a lot of sheet music through the year. For each venue I'm provided a hard copy of the score for me to use. I too scan the score into a PDF file. But I use ForScore to read my music. This is an app specifically designed for musicians who want to use their iPad to learn, rehearse, and perform their music. The iPad is just slightly smaller than Octavio size, so there is an adjustment. I prefer ForScore rather than iBooks because you can view the music in full and turn pages a whole lot easier.

There is also MusicReader, another app designed to read your music on an iPad.

Here are three screen shots of forScore. The first image is how you can create a song list, in this case Faure's Requiem, I have all of the movements listed. You can go to each piece or start from the beginning, each separate piece flows into the other.

783a67d8.jpg

This image shows all of the features forScore enables you to do to a piece of music. This is a shot of forScore in portrait. When in portrait mode you can see the entire page. In landscape mode, which is the image before and after this one, you get half the page, you can navigate in landscape from top to bottom my pressing the lower right to go down, and to the next page. You can go back a page or to the top of the page by pressing the upper right side of the score (it reads harder than in reality):

1b0b3f57.jpg

This image shows a metronome:

2b75d279.jpg

NOTE: You and I are talking about music scores that we OWN. As long as we OWN this music, it is for our own use, as intended by the owner/composer. So if anyone else reads this thread, I am assuming we are talking about a legitimate use of the music.

Last edited:
OP
kaylajean

kaylajean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Matt... I'll check out your suggestion.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions and solution to the malfunction in iBooks.

Great forum!

Most reactions