What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks prices

HafMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at buying "The girl with the dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larsson so I had a look on iBooks and it's £6.49. I then looked on the kindle app and saw the exact same book is £2.70!!! That's a difference of £3.79!

Why are the books on iBooks so expensive.

I do think that the free books are good and I don't think kindle do free downloads.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems to vary by individual book. Sometimes the iBook is cheaper, other times the kindle. Kindle does have free books. Log on to to amazon and search the ebook best seller list. They have a list of 100 free books that changes frequently. I use iBooks, kindle and nook apps and compare prices on all three when purchasing books. Also love being able to download books from the library using the overdrive app.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can comparison-price shop for indivual ebooks via a couple of sites:

Two great ebook price comparison tools, by Piotr Kowalzcyk | TeleRead: News and views on e-books, libraries, publishing and related topics

When shopping for ebooks, I don't go just by price, because I weigh access. If I buy an iBook, for instance, I will only be able to read it on Apple devices. If I buy from Amazon or B&N, I can use their apps to read on a variety of devices. I like that option for books I'll want to reread maybe years later, because I might not stick with Apple devices longer term.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do think that the free books are good and I don't think kindle do free downloads.

The Kindle store has thousands of free books - some new freebies offered by publishers or writers hoping to promote their works, some public domain. B&N does as well. Publishers and writers often offer freebies across several ebook platforms at the same time.

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP coul you download the free Kindle app and buy the book on Kindle"? Not done lot of reading yet on iPad but I have the Kindle app and have downloaded a couple of books.

OP
H

HafMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can comparison-price shop for indivual ebooks via a couple of sites:

Two great ebook price comparison tools, by Piotr Kowalzcyk | TeleRead: News and views on e-books, libraries, publishing and related topics

When shopping for ebooks, I don't go just by price, because I weigh access. If I buy an iBook, for instance, I will only be able to read it on Apple devices. If I buy from Amazon or B&N, I can use their apps to read on a variety of devices. I like that option for books I'll want to reread maybe years later, because I might not stick with Apple devices longer term.

I didn't know that there is a comparison site for ebooks.
i never thought about "what if I can devices" that is something i'll bear in mind.

Thanks

OP coul you download the free Kindle app and buy the book on Kindle"? Not done lot of reading yet on iPad but I have the Kindle app and have downloaded a couple of books.
I have been looking at the Kindle app but I hate the way that you cant' by book through the app, you have to go on the amazon website.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
i never thought about "what if I can devices" that is something i'll bear in mind.

Thanks

I have been looking at the Kindle app but I hate the way that you cant' by book through the app, you have to go on the amazon website.

That was amazons way of skirting past apples 30% profit rule

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have the Kindle store saved to my homescreen, and it's always logged on, so I can buy their books via one-click. I do it so routinely I don't even think about it. I also have the Top 100 free Kindle books list on my bookmarks bar, as well as this site:
DailyCheapReads.com

A lot of the books aren't to my taste, but I find a goodie now and then. I recently found a fun book about Harry Truman for three bucks:
Amazon.com: Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip eBook: Matthew Algeo: Kindle Store

gscott40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Kindle app but I hate the way that you cant' by book through the app, you have to go on the amazon website.[/QUOTE]

Apple is the bad guy here. They prohibit them, B&N and Amazon, from selling books via their apps.
For what it is worth ... Several of our libraries (Mpls/St. Paul) now offer books in either epub or kindle format.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Apple is the bad guy here. They prohibit them, B&N and Amazon, from selling books via their apps.
For what it is worth ... Several of our libraries (Mpls/St. Paul) now offer books in either epub or kindle format.[/QUOTE]

Apple does not prohibit any bookseller from selling through their book reader app, they simply expect to be paid should the book seller do that.

For some strange reason Apple thinks they should make money if Amazon uses the iPad to sell books and make money.

Amazon and Barnes & Noble could have left the purchase function in their apps if they paid their royalties for book sales.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amazon and Barnes & Noble could have left the purchase function in their apps if they paid their royalties for book sales.

So if Amazon, which pays authors a 70 percent cut if they direct pub through Amazon, should pay Apple 30 percent as well? Yeah, maybe if Jeff Bezos sustained a head injury and couldn't think right and got to sign a contract with Apple before his job was taken away, lol.

Apple should make money. 30 percent is just not feasible for many companies. So in that case, Apple makes nothing. Good going.

jb5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HafMan said:

Thanks

Thanks for the comparison site! It's quite helpful.

guangzhen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may need more time to write a book. But I think iBook2 is great. It worth buying that.

altiuscompare

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks Price Comparison Website

Ibooks & ebooks price comparison, reviews, rating, best authors books, all technology books by categories @ "AltiusCompare.com".

Most reactions