What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibook reader update deleted half of the books

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope we find a solution for this issue.

The books you purchased in the iBooks Store don't need to be backed up. It works the same as with apps: once purchased, they belong to you, and will always be available in the Purchased tab.

Last edited:
OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
haha - I unfortunately do not have any books that I purchased from the ibook store, they are all sideloaded books from other sources.
If I plug in my ipad to the computer, will itunes reinstall all the books?
Thanks for you patience - I am coming to an end here. And it seems your suggestion is how it's going to go (deleting and reinstalling ibooks)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they're backed up to iTunes on your computer, you're able to sync them to your device again.

There's no explanation as to which way or if books from other sources are backed up to iCloud. The messages I found were different. For some, the books were there again after reinstalling, some lost the books. I think it's always a good decision to have an additional backup.

Last edited:
OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok - Thank you very much for your time and patience with me.
I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go with your suggestion to delete and reinstall ibooks.
I sure didn't want to go that route haha especially if I loose all my books and have to start from scratch.
Thanks again for all your help

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed, hopefully this will help.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Haha - I'll do the reinstall when my wife finally decides to give up her ipad.
Right now she is reading a series and is afraid that all will be lost when I do this.
Up to her now...
I'll write back here when I do it and how it turned out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since you've already lost the PDF books, you might want to try deleting and re-downloading the iBooks app. It sounds like something is seriously wrong with it. You'll have to re-download all your iBooks again, but that may be the price of getting iBooks to work correctly.

If you go into Settings > iBooks and turn on Show All Purchases then your un-downloaded books will show up as a collection in iBooks. You can use this to download the books you want again. It's easier than going through the Purchased tab in the iBooks Store. Turn the option off again afterwards if you don't want to see all the books in the app.

Edit: looks like I failed to finish reading the entire thread before replying (again). I'll leave this in case I accidentally covered something not already covered.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If they're backed up to iTunes on your computer, you're able to sync them to your device again.

There's no explanation as to which way or if books from other sources are backed up to iCloud. The messages I found were different. For some, the books were there again after reinstalling, some lost the books. I think it's always a good decision to have an additional backup.

Need to make a distinction between backed up and books in the iTunes library on the computer. As far as I know, side loaded books (and PDFs) are not included in a backup. They need to be in the Books library in iTunes if they are going to be restored to the iPad. It's a sync operation, not a backup restore.

(I finished reading the thread)

Most reactions