What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook Help

mslucifer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought a ebook, which i sync to ipad, it shows on iBooks, but prompt me an error: Book Format Error.

i did some research and realise that its due to the fact the ebook i bought is DRM epub. i don't have enought technical knowledge to remove the DRM, can canyone help me pls?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question #1, where did you buy the book from? If you didn't buy it from iBooks, then iBook won't read it. DRM schemes are unique to each vendor. Books from Amazon can only be read on a Kindle or the Kindle app and likewise with vendors like Barnes & Noble and Borders.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Question #1, where did you buy the book from? If you didn't buy it from iBooks, then iBook won't read it. DRM schemes are unique to each vendor. Books from Amazon can only be read on a Kindle or the Kindle app and likewise with vendors like Barnes & Noble and Borders.

Apple's iBook app will read any non DRM epub book regardless of where it was purchased or obtained (Please note that there are many free sites that you can download non-DRM epub's such as Manybooks, Guttenberg, and Baen.)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i bought a ebook, which i sync to ipad, it shows on iBooks, but prompt me an error: Book Format Error.

i did some research and realise that its due to the fact the ebook i bought is DRM epub. i don't have enought technical knowledge to remove the DRM, can canyone help me pls?

If it's from Sony, it's complicated.

OP
M

mslucifer

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought the book from a independent site .booksonboard.com
Unfortunately I'm in singapore so we dun have iTunes for iBooks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apple's iBook app will read any non DRM epub book regardless of where it was purchased or obtained
But the question was:
i did some research and realise that its due to the fact the ebook i bought is DRM epub.

Now as far as actually answering the question, as far as I know, the only way to read books from booksonboard.com is with the Stanza eReader app. Its free! Here is the link: Stanza: a Revolution in Reading | Lexcycle

When you open the Stanza app, select Get Books (at the bottom of the screen) and Catalog at the top of the screen and there you will see the BooksOnBoad eBook Shop as your first choice.

stanzapic.png

Once you select this, there is an option to view your library where it says you can download your past purchases so you should be able to use this option to download the book into Stanza.

Once the book has been downloaded, select Library at the bottom of the screen to see the book.

Enjoy!

nofixedadress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i am i new user of the ipad, which i bought a few days ago in the USA. I used before a sony prs for downloading books on the reader library.As i am german , i am just downlowding german ebooks in epub format from sites like libri.de or thalia.de.
I synchronised my new ipad to my notebook, and all was fine, and the whole library from my sony prs is now on my ipad, but when i want to open one of these books i cannot open it , and it shows me an error wrong book format . What can i do now ? Any smart suggestions ? Thanks for any help

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Each book vendor that sells copyrighted material has their own unique DRM (Digital Rights Media) scheme. This means it is only viewable on one of their devices or propietary software. Unfortunately, files you bought for your Sony reader can only be viewed on your Sony reader unless you strip away the DRM. I do not have a Sony reader so I can not tell you how to do this, but I understand that it is possible.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
In this http://www.ipadforums.net/ibooks/5642-question-bremen-kobo-books-vs-ibooks.html thread I posted instructions for removing DRM from Adobe Digital Editions DRM (which is what Sony uses)... see post number 6 in that thread.

DO NOT ask me for further directions, I simply cannot hand hold hundreds of people through the process... if you are computer savvy you will get it, if not then you do not even need to try...

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

Apple's iBook app will read any non DRM epub book regardless of where it was purchased or obtained
But the question was:
i did some research and realise that its due to the fact the ebook i bought is DRM epub.

But your answer stated, and I quote "If you didn't buy it from iBooks, then iBook won't read it." Which is simply and unequivocally untrue.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But your answer stated, and I quote "If you didn't buy it from iBooks, then iBook won't read it." Which is simply and unequivocally untrue.
Mark Twain once said, "Better to be thought of as a fool than open your mouth (or post something on an Internet forum) and remove all doubt!"

The "it" in my statement was referring SPECIFICALLY to the book the OP had downloaded that was in the wrong format. I was not referring to downloading books in general. If you buy a book from Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble or from any other vendor that has DRM, iBooks will not read it (unless you strip the DRM).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts