What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i-pad won't turn on

camdxr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried searching the threads and can't seem to find an answer.

Anyone out there help? For reasons best known to itself my i-pad will not now turn on, I've tried charging, it does not even recognise that it's being charged. I've tried to reconnect to my laptop, computer doesn't recognise anything is plugged in.

I'm in Saudi Arabia and would prefer to find some sort of intelligent answer before visiting the apple shop (if you lived here you'd know why!)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry - there's a simple fix.

Press and hold down the Power and Home buttons for about 60 seconds - yes, you read that right - sixty - until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot - it takes a while, so you need patience. No files or apps will disappear - it's nothing more than a reboot. We all have to do it now and again

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Tim

OP
C

camdxr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim

GF says the apple logo came up at around the 5sec mark, kept holding for the advised 60 secs, nowt seems to be happening now, have I done something wrong?

Cheers.

neale75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem as camdxr. I've tried holding the power and home buttons down but it's not doing anything.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem as camdxr. I've tried holding the power and home buttons down but it's not doing anything.

OK - let's back up a little bit.

Is this a new iPad that you've never used before, or have you been using it and it's now stopped working? Is it an iPad1 or iPad2?

I'm assuming that, if it's just stopped working, the screen is blank and pressing the Power button by itself has no effect?

Is your iPad fully charged? We've had several people who have had problems with their iPad because they accidentally left it on and the battery went flat and then it wouldn't restart but it was really a flat battery problem.

Tell us a little more...and we'll be sure to do whatever we can.

Tim

neale75

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 2. I'd had it 3 days, and it had been working fine. I charged it up, used it for a bit, switched it off then went to bed. Yesterday when I went to use it again nothing happens. I've tried the reboot and that didn't work. I even plugged it in just incase I'd left it switched on and the battery had died but that didn't wortk either. I think I'll take it to the Apple Store today.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 2. I'd had it 3 days, and it had been working fine. I charged it up, used it for a bit, switched it off then went to bed. Yesterday when I went to use it again nothing happens. I've tried the reboot and that didn't work. I even plugged it in just incase I'd left it switched on and the battery had died but that didn't wortk either. I think I'll take it to the Apple Store today.

OK - it could, of course, be a faulty iPad but that's unusual - particularly if it's been working properly before. How long did you leave it on to charge? If the battery is completely flat it will need a couple of hours before there's enough charge to successfully reboot, so you might want to leave it plugged in and always make sure you're using the iPad charger and not a USB port or an iPod charger as they supply significantly less current and will therefore take correspondingly longer to charge.

When you try the reboot - how long did you try holding down the Power and Home buttons for (at the same time). It can take a while - I've had members report having to wait 60 seconds though, when I've had to do it (once only) on my iPad it was significantly less than this.

Tim

sarahmarie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OK - it could, of course, be a faulty iPad but that's unusual - particularly if it's been working properly before. How long did you leave it on to charge? If the battery is completely flat it will need a couple of hours before there's enough charge to successfully reboot, so you might want to leave it plugged in and always make sure you're using the iPad charger and not a USB port or an iPod charger as they supply significantly less current and will therefore take correspondingly longer to charge.

When you try the reboot - how long did you try holding down the Power and Home buttons for (at the same time). It can take a while - I've had members report having to wait 60 seconds though, when I've had to do it (once only) on my iPad it was significantly less than this.

Tim

I apologize for jumping in on this thread--I just logged into this site because I'm having the same problem.

I've had my iPad since Christmas. Used it regularly there for a while. Left it at my family's home and I wasn't able to have it. I'm assuming my battery completely died, like you're explaining here, Tim. I finally got my iPad back--went out and bought a new charger, though, as no one seems to know where the charger that came with the iPad has disappeared to (including the wall-adapter). I've got it plugged into my Mac now but nothing's happening. I've tried the reboot--and there's nothing.

I guess my question is--will a regular charger do the trick, just plugged into my computer via the USB? (I fear the answer to this question is probably "no"). I'll be happy as long as my iPad isn't completely broken.

Thanks for any help you might have!

- Sarah

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

I apologize for jumping in on this thread--I just logged into this site because I'm having the same problem.

I've had my iPad since Christmas. Used it regularly there for a while. Left it at my family's home and I wasn't able to have it. I'm assuming my battery completely died, like you're explaining here, Tim. I finally got my iPad back--went out and bought a new charger, though, as no one seems to know where the charger that came with the iPad has disappeared to (including the wall-adapter). I've got it plugged into my Mac now but nothing's happening. I've tried the reboot--and there's nothing.

I guess my question is--will a regular charger do the trick, just plugged into my computer via the USB? (I fear the answer to this question is probably "no"). I'll be happy as long as my iPad isn't completely broken.

Thanks for any help you might have!

- Sarah

OK - you went out and bought the proper iPad charger and left the iPad to charge for several hours. You tried to switch it on but nothing happened?

You tried the reboot option - press and hold the Power and Home buttons for a long time - until the white Apple logo appears ---- it will eventually, you might have to hold those buttons for a full 60 seconds ---- then the iPad should reboot. But you need to make sure the battery is charged before you do this.

The iPad will charge slowly from a USB connection - but at only about a quarter of the normal speed and will probably slowly discharge if it's switched on.

Get back to us and we'll see what we can do to help

Tim

Tsampisting

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - you went out and bought the proper iPad charger and left the iPad to charge for several hours. You tried to switch it on but nothing happened?

You tried the reboot option - press and hold the Power and Home buttons for a long time - until the white Apple logo appears ---- it will eventually, you might have to hold those buttons for a full 60 seconds ---- then the iPad should reboot. But you need to make sure the battery is charged before you do this.

The iPad will charge slowly from a USB connection - but at only about a quarter of the normal speed and will probably slowly discharge if it's switched on.

Get back to us and we'll see what we can do to help

Tim

My home button does not work. I have to hold it for more than 10 seconds to make it work. Very frustrating. I found that if i only have two apps open, it works okay more often. Anything more than two causes the problem. I think i have an ipad 2 with too little ram or defective ram. What do you think? Do i throw this ipad to the trash and buy a new one? Very frustrating.

Most reactions

Latest posts