What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Pad Black screen but backlight working.

camcamcam999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI,
Recently my I Pad has started to stop turning the LCD on and it is getting really frustrating. I can see the backlight switching itself on which is the only thing that is telling me that the I Pad is working and it is just the LCD. I have read answers online that say to hit the I Pad on the back to try to reconnect the LCD cable to the I Pad inside which worked about 2 times until now where it works for about 2 seconds until disconnecting again.
From the symptoms I think that I need to open up the I Pad to reconnect the LCD data cable but that would be a lot of work if it is not the problem. Please could someone either confirm that this is the problem and the solution or give me another suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Cam (If you didn't already guess from the name)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HI,
Recently my I Pad has started to stop turning the LCD on and it is getting really frustrating. I can see the backlight switching itself on which is the only thing that is telling me that the I Pad is working and it is just the LCD. I have read answers online that say to hit the I Pad on the back to try to reconnect the LCD cable to the I Pad inside which worked about 2 times until now where it works for about 2 seconds until disconnecting again.
From the symptoms I think that I need to open up the I Pad to reconnect the LCD data cable but that would be a lot of work if it is not the problem. Please could someone either confirm that this is the problem and the solution or give me another suggestion.

Hello Cam - welcome to the forum! :) First, tell us what iPad model you own, the iOS installed, and whether your device is still under warranty (including AppleCare). Second, has the iPad been damaged, especially has it been dropped?

You can visit the iFixit Website and enter your model and peruse the guides to potentially fix your problem(s) - these repairs are not easy, especially if you are not already a good DIY. If you do not want to attempt an 'undiagnosed' repair, then take your iPad to an Apple store for a diagnostic evaluation (make an appointment first w/ the Genius Bar) or to an authorized Apple repair shop - an evaluation of the problem and the cost of repair should be free or at nominal cost. Let us know your results - this issue does arise periodically on the forum. Good luck - Dave

OP
C

camcamcam999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave.
In all honesty I made a very bold decision and decided to take it apart anyway to have a look and after inspection I realized that it was the LCD cable that was loose as I had expected. After putting that back and putting the Ipad back together which was a rather tedious task, I found out the the original problem had been fixed but now the touchscreen is unresponsive right across the middle of the screen (When holding vertically). At first I thought this was a very minor problem but it I then realized that the alerts for different apps appear in that very position and so I can not click OK / CANCEL. Will I need a new digitizer or can it be solved with software.

Thanks,
Cam

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave.
In all honesty I made a very bold decision and decided to take it apart anyway to have a look and after inspection I realized that it was the LCD cable that was loose as I had expected. After putting that back and putting the Ipad back together which was a rather tedious task, I found out the the original problem had been fixed but now the touchscreen is unresponsive right across the middle of the screen (When holding vertically). At first I thought this was a very minor problem but it I then realized that the alerts for different apps appear in that very position and so I can not click OK / CANCEL. Will I need a new digitizer or can it be solved with software.

Hi again Cam - sorry for your continued problems - appears to be a more complex issue than suspected - please provide answers to my questions in the first paragraph of my previous post.

Although we've owned 3 iPads since 2011, I have never taken one apart (although I have a well equipped workshop in the basement and the skills to make an attempt); the iFixit guides seem rather daunting for someone not familiar w/ these electronic devices. You may just be in 'water too deep' for your skill level - don't know - can you get a 'professional' diagnostics done on the device in your vicinity? Dave :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like the digitizer cable was either not reattached properly or damaged when putting your iPad back together. You will need to replac the digitizer if it is the latter.
Make sure the digitizer cable doesn't get pinched between the glass and the aluminum frame during reassembly.

Most reactions

Latest posts