What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I knew I wasn't crazy! There is a problem with some WiFi only iPads!

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my iPad3 64GB Wi-Fi in to the Apple Store from which I purchased it. The Apple tech did a OS system restore that she said was "deeper" than I could do at home. I have restored it from my backup and so far I have no issues here at work where I had the most dropouts. Before the restore, I had done a side by side speedtest comparison with my iPad1 and the iPad3 right next to my router at home. When I get home I'll do the same speedtest and see if anything is different.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it looks like I spoke too soon. I left the iPad with the Weather+ app running in my office (it reports Wi-Fi dropouts). Even with two bars of signal strength, the connection was dropped. At home the performance tests are still inferior to the iPad1. Back to the Apple Store I go.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I was little bit suspicious about this "deeper" iOS update that she was talking about. Probably nothing more than just resetting network settings and reinstalling the iOS 5.1. Something you can do it home. Unless they have some sort of beta patch that they're not talking about that was just a bunch of bull.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PaulCarleton said:
Yeah I was little bit suspicious about this "deeper" iOS update that she was talking about. Probably nothing more than just resetting network settings and reinstalling the iOS 5.1. Something you can do it home. Unless they have some sort of beta patch that they're not talking about that was just a bunch of bull.

Yeah that's precisely what I was thinking. The "deep" reinstall of the OS sounded like smoke and mirrors to me. Even if this is some sort of beta patch that only Apple has, you'd think I'd be given a choice if I wanted to run beta software on my device or not. I think perhaps the memo about "capture" hasn't made it to the front line.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't come across any problems with my 32GB wifi only so far either. All is good.

Sent from my White iPad 3rd Gen. 32gb using Tapatalk

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
If you buy enough technology you will eventually draw the short straw and get a defective unit. It is no fun when it happens but it happens.

Yeah, I've been finding this out. So far I've been lucky with Apple products.

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drathbun said:
Yeah that's precisely what I was thinking. The "deep" reinstall of the OS sounded like smoke and mirrors to me. Even if this is some sort of beta patch that only Apple has, you'd think I'd be given a choice if I wanted to run beta software on my device or not. I think perhaps the memo about "capture" hasn't made it to the front line.

I'd just request a replacement unit. See if the will oblige.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had any slowdowns or failure to connect but I've noticed that my iPad always has 2 bars when all other devices have 3. Should I be concerned?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mdholm said:
I haven't had any slowdowns or failure to connect but I've noticed that my iPad always has 2 bars when all other devices have 3. Should I be concerned?

There is no standard meaning to bars....don't worry about that.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
snowzone said:
Yeah, I've been finding this out. So far I've been lucky with Apple products.

Me too but I have certainly drawn the short straw here and there. My first PS3 died in less than a week.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Me too but I have certainly drawn the short straw here and there. My first PS3 died in less than a week.

Less than a week! Oh my. I've had my 60GB original since they came out and I even use it as my primary bluray player. Still going strong.

However every time Sony or another company introduces or makes a change to a popular piece of electronics the forums and fanboy news sites light up with reports about both real and imaginary problems. But mostly imaginary. I guess that is the nature of the beast.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It might have been my imagination that it wouldn't read any discs but I doubt it. Lol.

The replacement has been fine for a year and a half though.

The point is it happens to every company.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just saw a report on Computer World that the wifi problem is software related and can be cured by doing a network reset.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tuttle said:
Just saw a report on Computer World that the wifi problem is software related and can be cured by doing a network reset.

Well I've had a full restore of the iOS done by Apple and I'm still getting dropouts.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
drathbun said:
Well I've done a full restore of the iOS and I'm still getting dropouts.

As I understand the article, Apple has a default setting on the wifi adapter to economize power that is required for other things such as the retina screen and more powerful processor. So---you might try resetting even though you have just done a reinstall. Possibly the reinstall defaulted to the same setting. Sorry I don't have a link to the ews story. Saw it in Flipboard, Apps section with a link to the App Advice story, but couldn't copy the link.

P.S. Here is the link: http://t.co/ZmqE81Sb

Last edited:

Most reactions