What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a Jailbroken iPad 1 running 4.2.1. I think it might be time to go to 5.1.1....

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I am not sure the best way to proceed. I can do this through itunes but I was wondering if there is another and better way as I have the blobs saved with tiny umbrella etc. Will I loose my safari bookmarks when I do this and all the pictures in the photos app?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 5.1.1 is the last iOS for the iPad 1, so you wouldn't need blobs to upgrade it since it's the latest iOS and is still being signed for the iPad 1. Before upgrading, always make a backup of your data using iTunes (to preserve your data like photos and videos and almost all user settings). Once you're backed up, simply restore using iTunes, and once the restore is done, restore from the backup you've made. Make sure you restore in DFU mode to make sure that it goes through flawlessly without any loose ends.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't itunes do the restore automatically. I didn't know I have to do things in the DFU mode?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Given that you are running iOS 4.x, you will [most likely] need to put the iPad into DFU mode to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. The iOS you are on is very old and it may not work to just plug the iPad into iTunes and select restore. You can always try it - the worst that can happen is that the upgrade fails and you have to do a restore (with DFU mode) anyway.

We always suggest jail breakers upgrade using DFU mode because it puts a "fresh" iOS on the iPad. IMNSHO, it makes for a cleaner install of the iOS. As always, however, YMMV.

In case you need it, here's the tutorial (written by my fellow moderator, f4780y) on using DFU mode: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=27489

Good luck and holler back if you need anything.

Marilyn

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but that link explains how to get into DFU mode.
Please explain how I actually upgrade when in DFU mode?
Will all my apps still be on the iPad?
When I went from 3 to 4.2.1 all my apps were still there after the upgrade.
Thanks.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I let iTunes do this it would not jb so I did the update via the dfu mode them I jb then restored from the backup. Also I didn't realize that restore restores only app data and not the apps. But I was able to restore the apps too and everything of ok now.

Most reactions