What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Forgot To Turn The Find My iPhone Off Before Giving My Son My iPad 2

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I gave my son my iPad 2 when I got the iPad Air. I did the Reset and Erase All Content and Settings and confirmed it. It was completely blank like when we purchased it. There was nothing on it. I have noticed that it shows up on the Find My iPhone along with my Phone, Air, and the iPad mini we are letting my mother use. My son is in another city and I am surprised it is showing up on my Find My iPhone search.

He did set it up with his iTunes ID, etc. Nothing on my pads and phones is showing up on his or in the cloud for download, and nothing he has put onto his is showing up as downloads. My contacts are not showing up in his and his are not showing up on mine.

I did some Googling tonight and found that it says to turn off the find the phone feature first. Nothing I read before this said to do that. This would explain why it is being located.

My problem is, if I remove it (just found that that can be done) will it do anything to his iPad? Will he lose his data or be locked out? It doesn't bother me that it is showing up. If it isn't an issue, it would be another safety layer if someone breaks into his apartment as far as possibly finding it, wiping or locking it (at least I think that would be the case).

But, if I remove it, I don't want him to turn his iPad on and find that I have messed up his settings, deleted his pad, locked him out, etc. He is using it for working on programming for work at home and I certainly don't want to do anything to mess that up. Leaving as is, is fine. But when I mention this to him the next time I see him, I would like to know what the risk of his losing his info from the pad is if I remove it; and if there is an issue if I just leave it the way it is.

When I gave my other daughter my first iPad 2, I did the same thing. It is still listed in the list, but is never located, it is just listed and not located. States offline, even when she is visiting and is on our WiFi. This was whatever version iOS 6 was the newest at that time. This was a while before I gave my son the one I gave him, so the iOS was probably different. I am not sure what iOS was on the one I gave my son. I am not sure if was the latest iOS 6 at that time or first iOS 7 because I cannot remember when we gave it to him. Just in case iOS matters.

What are the issues if we remove it from my find my phone? What are the issues if we just leave it there? Also, can I remove the iPads that are listed but not being located because we no longer have them, ie the one I gave my daughter and we had the first one replaced a couple times, and they are still listed but never located, just listed as offline.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you remotely remove an iDevice from Find my iPhone, it will be erased after turning off and on again, as I understand it. So you can't do it without them noticing. They shouldn't be locked out, but if they didn't back it up, data and settings will be gone.

It would be best to talk to them before you decide what to do.

There are two possibilites to remove the iPads from Find my iPhone. Either you erase them remotely: iCloud: Remove your device from Find My iPhone, or let them do it: Find My iPhone Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner?s account (in this case they'll need your password).

Btw: the iPad Air was released on September 18 and came with iOS 7, which was also released on the same day. If the iPad you gave to your son was up to date, it should have iOS 7x installed when he set it up as his device. That makes me wonder why he wasn't locked out, or why you weren't asked for your iCloud account password when erasing all content and settings, which should have removed it from Find my iPhone.

Last edited:
OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you remotely remove an iDevice from Find my iPhone, it will be erased after turning off and on again, as I understand it. So you can't do it without them noticing. They shouldn't be locked out, but if they didn't back it up, data and settings will be gone. It would be best to talk to them before you decide what to do.

Btw: the iPad Air was released on September 18 and came with iOS 7, which was also released on the same day. If the iPad you gave to your son was up to date, it should have iOS 7x installed when he set it up as his device. That makes me wonder why he wasn't locked out, or why you weren't asked for your iCloud account password when erasing all content and settings, which should have removed it from Find my iPhone.

Having him notice won't be an issue because I am going to talk to him about the next time I am there. I would not do anything that affects the kids without telling them about it first, no matter what it is.

I did not give him my iPad Air. I gave him the iPad 2 I was using before I got my iPad Air. That is why I am not sure what iOS it had when I gave it to him. I am pretty positive it had the latest iOS 6 release at that time because I gave it to him before I got the iPad Air. We noticed he really could use it and we had the iPad 2 and Mini. My husband and I (well my husband) figured we could share my Mini and give my son that iPad 2. Turns out, we really needed a pad each because of all the embroidery design PDF's, photos, project instructions, tips, etc I store. So later my husband got me the Air 128. So I am thinking it was the latest iOS 6 that was out at the time. I also am pretty sure that is the case because I was reluctant to update to iOS 7 because of all the bad press and did not do the mini or my phone until after I got my iPad Air 128 and was forced to use iOS 7. My son already had the iPad 2 by that time.

I will email my son and tell him it is showing up on my Find My iPhone. So, if he doesn't mind my seeing it the few times I use the Find My iPhone (basically just so I refresh my memory for the password request), is it going to be an issue if I just leave it on the Find My iPhone on my iPad Air and iPhone 5 and the Mini? It isn't going to affect anything having to do with his account, correct? That might be the thing to do if that is the case, if he is concerned about his data. I don't know if he uses the cloud or not. I suspect he does. I just have my contacts Find the Phone using the cloud. My computer has everything that is on my pad. I just don't want to I out all my contacts again.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose it won't affect his account. He was working fine with it so far. It also won't affect your account, because you both use different Apple IDs/iCloud accounts.

If it had iOS 6 installed, then you weren't asked for your iCloud password. Something I experienced: I gave my iPad 2 to my daughter. We had problems setting it up after erasing all content and settings, because I hadn't deleted my iCloud account. As soon as I did that, we didn't have problems creating an Apple ID and setting it up for her. This happened in summer last year, so it still had iOS 6.1.3 installed.

Just keep in mind: if he has to erase all content and settings (sometimes that's necessary), he'll face the problem that the iPad is still visible in your iCloud account/Find my iPhone. This means that he'll need your password to erase it.

Another thought: what's his current software? If he updated to iOS 7, he should have been asked for your iCloud password, I think.

Last edited:
OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will have to ask him when I talk to him about it. He may decide to just erase it and start over the correct way, depends on what he has and what kind of problem it will be. We did tell,him that if he ever is not going to use it, to give it back to us, not sell or trade it in. Hopefully, that will be the case.

I will talk to him about this when we see him and have my iPad with me rather than do this via email, text or phone call.

Most reactions

Latest posts