What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hulu's iPad Subscription based App?

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
12-7-07-hulu.jpg

Hulu has been a hot topic since the iPad's unveiling. Currently the website uses a flash based video player that is incompatible with the iPad. A new report from Engadget suggest that Hulu may be working on an iPad app that will be subscription based and require a fee.
Hulu CEO Jason Kilar told the Times that he's "open to subscriptions as a complement to the ad-supported model." That's as close to a confirmation as we've ever heard, but we've got a feeling Apple's putting the full-court press on Hulu and other networks like CBS....
My guess is we'll most likely to see something from Hulu by the time the iPad 3G models arrive. What do you think?

[Source: Engadget]

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i don't think they dream we will paid for watch their movie .... they need audience and iPad will be a important platform ... so if they miss this devices they will shoot themselves ...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like they want to charge a monthly fee and have commercials. No way, one or the other! I have sling player to watch my tv if I want to pay and see commercials.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth is the current hulu model isn't working. If charging a small fee keeps them in business with great content I think I would pay.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth is the current hulu model isn't working. If charging a small fee keeps them in business with great content I think I would pay.

depends on small....$4-$5 a month with limited ads and occasional ad free programs would attract some people....$15+ with ads would be the end of hulu.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$4-$5 a month with limited ads would attract me! Considering I pay TWENTY-TIMES that much for cable which includes ads... I'd pay that small of a price to have good content with me on the go on a portable device... even if it did have ads.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of you are lucky , we didn't have that kind of services in my area ... but we have paradisiac island around us ;-)

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hulu subscription service is going to be a hard sell. I watch most TV shows via my DVR; I only go to Hulu when I forget to record something. I have a SlingBox so I really don't need Hulu to watch TV on my iPad (when it gets here). For people who don't have a Slingbox (or something similar) they will have to watch a lot of hulu to make a subscription worth it.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IF they would put out a set top box that I could hook up to my HDTV AND allow me to access all of their content for one price, say up to $10 per month, on my TV, iPad, iPhone, and computer, then I'd consider it. If they were to do it that way, I could seriously consider dumping my cable service.

Problem is, the content providers know that and they'll never allow it to happen. Even though I think they'd make more off of that than they do from cable subscribers in the long run.

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IF they would put out a set top box that I could hook up to my HDTV AND allow me to access all of their content for one price, say up to $10 per month, on my TV, iPad, iPhone, and computer, then I'd consider it. If they were to do it that way, I could seriously consider dumping my cable service..

Well, i think your set top box could possibly be your ipad.....Remote controlled by your iphone?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the sweet spot is between $4-$8 per month. But that should give you access from all devices including phone, pc, touch and of course ipad. Price of the app is separate of course. If the ipad gets the slingbox app I will probably get one but hulu will be good during hurricane season and the inevitable power outages. Plus think of it this way, by having this predictable revenue stream they could further entice the studios and networks to release alot more content.

Most reactions

Latest posts