What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to unlock disabled iPad2 (version 5.x) without losing data

ygaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mom has an iPad 2 which says 'iPad is disabled Connect to iTunes". She uses it daily and knows password by heart, so it's not a bad password lock. Also, it was charged fully day before last good use and same day evening it was found to be disabled. So, it's not a battery drain case either. Either way, I want o restore it without losing her data

Current state - battery 90%; no wireless icon though wireless is on (we never turn it off); OS version is not known but I am pretty sure it's 5.x (I changed my last laptop in April 2013, and this laptop has no backup of iPad, so I never connected iPad with my new laptop). The last upgrade I remember making to iPad with my old laptop was iOS 5). Btw, when I replaced my laptop, I took backup of iTunes data under My Music folder, but didn't know that real backup is buried in a system folder (cursing Apple). I copied iTunes data to my new laptop and I can see iPad apps in iTunes. Is it anyway possible to create a backup from the iTunes data, so iPad can recognize it as a friendly computer.

There's a very nice post given on modmyi (Fix iPod Disabled for 41 Years WITHOUT RESTORE) but it's pretty old and says the method will work with 4.x.x. Will this method work with my iPad? Any other forums / posts / links please?

Appreciate any help.

P.S.: There are so many users out there grappling with this issue. I believe Apple must provide a way out other than restore (and losing data) to the genuine owners by verifying their id. Nobody would mind if they charge a nominal fee for it.

Last edited:

ninety5eclipz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are pre-ios7 you have the ability to restore your ipad even with it passcode locked. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to backup the data on the ipad with it being passcode locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are pre-ios7 you have the ability to restore your ipad even with it passcode locked. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to backup the data on the ipad with it being passcode locked.

This is false. You can remove your passcode and your disability by using iFunbox. There are tutorials for it are in the internet. I cannot do this because my android device sucks.

Sent from my terrible and slow android device.

ninety5eclipz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is false. You can remove your passcode and your disability by using iFunbox. There are tutorials for it are in the internet. I cannot do this because my android device sucks.

Sent from my terrible and slow android device.

Didn't realize there was an app to do that. Wouldn't the app have to be installed before you lose access to the device though?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can remove the disability using iFunBox, but your passcode lock is shot afterwards because the iOS will reindex the missing file and reject any modifications to it. There's a one-click method that was made for iOS 6 only, but what's being done with that method isn't applicable with the older iOS 5 filesystem.

Last edited:

ninety5eclipz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can remove the disability using iFunBox, but your passcode lock is shot afterwards because the iOS will reindex the missing file and reject any modifications to it

Willerz2...how about my previous question? Just so I'm smart on it.

OP
Y

ygaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can remove the disability using iFunBox, but your passcode lock is shot afterwards because the iOS will reindex the missing file and reject any modifications to it. There's a one-click method that was made for iOS 6 only, but what's being done with that method isn't applicable with the older iOS 5 filesystem.

How can disability be removed with iFunbox? I installed it but it's not able to connect to iPad. One good thing it confirmed though is that iOS version is 5.1.1. Will iFunbox connect to iPad if I jailbreak it?

Most reactions