What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to: setup PC+printer+router to print with iPad - w/o internet!

izzyusa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks,

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have a PC and a printer. The location does NOT have internet access.
What I want to do is to add a wireless router to the PC so that I can print from an iPad.

So the setup is: A PC+printer+router, creating a "local" wifi connection just so it can be viewed by the iPad so that the iPad can print using that PC, even through there's no internet connection

Is that possible? If so, how would I go about that setup?

Thanks so much in advance!

Izzy

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your setup looks fine. You need to make sure that either your printer is supported by the iPad (i.e. it's an AirPrint compatible printer) or that you have third-party software - such as PrintCentral - on your iPad, if the printer is not AirPrint compatible. Third party apps, such as the one I've mentioned, support most - but not all - printers but do support all printers if there's a PC there too with the printer connected (they print via the PC). Since you don't intend to have a PC there too, you might need to be careful that, if your printer is not directly AirPrint compatible (list of these printers is on the Apple Website) that the third-party app would support it.

Tim

Reaction score
If you don't already have a wifi router, then you may want to buy one with USB printer sharing, such as the Airport Express. Those let you connect the printer via USB to the wifi route, so you can then print from the iPad directly, without the need for the PC. Of course you can also print from the PC to the printer. You just wouldn't be dependent on the PC as a middle-man.

So iPad->Wifi router->Printer is really all you need to print.

And of course an app, such as Print'n'Share, which can print to any printer on the wifi network.

Last edited:
OP
I

izzyusa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the great responses guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And of course an app, such as Print'n'Share, which can print to any printer on the wifi network.
So this will allow printing to any printer - not just the limited number of Airprint enabled printers?

It will allow direct WiFi printing to almost any printer (i.e. even those not AirPrint compatible) and absolutely any printer connected to a WiFi-enabled laptop or PC running a small free downloaded app from the Developer's website.

However, it does not quite provide the in-app printing capability offered by a true AirPrint-compatible printer because you need to switch to PrintNShare to be able to print the document in question whereas, if you had an AirPrint compatible printer, you could print directly from within any app that supports in-app printing (and, be warned, not all apps do support in-app printing, including some of Apple's - such as Calendar and Notes).

Tim

Most reactions