What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save web pages and read them off-line?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to be able to save some web pages and be able to read them off-line later. I have iPad 1. Please tell me how!

Ideally, I would like to be able to transfer the saved web pages to a Windows 7 computer for long-term reference. So can I sync them with iTunes or transfer or copy with iFunbox?

sven31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think u can use evernote app... it is good for this kinda stuff...

kanson82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then there are some webpages which have snippets of information that’s like gold dust. With the web as it is, the important content could go down tomorrow with the website shutting down or just having a server catastrophe. Call me paranoid, but when I come across a nugget of web information, there are times when I like to save the entire webpage in its exact glory. Copy-pasting it into MS Word would of course, be a simpler way.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to be able to save some web pages and be able to read them off-line later. I have iPad 1. Please tell me how!

Ideally, I would like to be able to transfer the saved web pages to a Windows 7 computer for long-term reference. So can I sync them with iTunes or transfer or copy with iFunbox?

Have you considered making the web page a PDF file? If you do it that way, then you can save that particular iteration of the web site forever - it will never change.

There are lots of apps that can help you convert web sites to PDF, plus there are free online programs you can run from your computer. Or, there is a bookmarklet you can install in your iPad's Safari browser to convert a web site right on your iPad. Then, you can do what you wish with the PDF. See this link for the code for the bookmarklet: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=72353

Marilyn

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Call me paranoid, but when I come across a nugget of web information, there are times when I like to save the entire webpage in its exact glory. Copy-pasting it into MS Word would of course, be a simpler way.

Yes I like to save everything too. However I don't have MS Word on the iPad. Is there some free apps for iPad which would do the same thing?

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you considered making the web page a PDF file? If you do it that way, then you can save that particular iteration of the web site forever - it will never change.

I like this idea and your input on http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html. I have been frustrated with the Safari for providing so few options of saving the web pages. By the way, where would the web pages be it PDF or not be saved to in an iPad? Could it be possible for me to transfer the files from the iPad to a Windows 7 system later on?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The PDF opens in Safari, with a button to open it in iBooks. iBooks then saves it automagically to the PDF collection. From there, you can email it to your PC.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I often use the app url2pdf. Its free and very good. The app converts the web pages to pdf and then you can open/save them in several apps.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See this link for the code for the bookmarklet: Guide: Creating Safari Bookmarklets
Marilyn

I followed http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html and created "Save as PDF" exactly according to the instructions. While on the same page I execute the bookmark, I get the error message of "Page not found" every time. I try pages on other web sites, the same problem occurs. Do I need to install something else as well?

I've just tried on my Windows 7 system using the similar setup and it worked. I tried on Firefox and Safari and they all worked. So it must be something peculiar on the iPad or on the Safari.

Last edited:
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I often use the app url2pdf. Its free and very good. The app converts the web pages to pdf and then you can open/save them in several apps.

I have downloaded the URLtoPDF to the iPad but it doesn't work. I want to test it on my Windows 7 system. I google it and there are so many, so I don't know which is the one.

Barry23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When open browser then open website which you want to read then if it is according to your requirement add it to favorite tab, now you can find any time from favorite tab. When ever i was browsing save web pages relate to my grand pa interest. Then he read them while offline.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Instapaper.
Can't praise it high enough since I use it daily.
Best of all you can transfer your pages to Evernote within the app.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When open browser then open website which you want to read then if it is according to your requirement add it to favorite tab, now you can find any time from favorite tab. When ever i was browsing save web pages relate to my grand pa interest. Then he read them while offline.

Thanks but I don't follow. What is favourite tab? I add it to Reading List. I turn off the wireless, then I can't read it.
When I say offline, I mean no Internet.

Most reactions

Latest posts