What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save music from Dropbox?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they dont wise up Apple product will only end up in the hands of poseurs and the computer illiterate, while the rest of us who want our gadget to actually do something useful will buy elsewhere - WTF!

Somehow I doubt this.
Yes, having grown to the most valuable company on the planet I have to agree that they are certainly headed in the wrong direction. ;)

jjmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If they dont wise up Apple product will only end up in the hands of poseurs and the computer illiterate, while the rest of us who want our gadget to actually do something useful will buy elsewhere - WTF!

Somehow I doubt this.
Yes, having grown to the most valuable company on the planet I have to agree that they are certainly headed in the wrong direction. ;)

Ha, not denying Apple are a huge successful business. Their products are excellent and ahead of the curve, but their best trick is convincing their own customers that anyone who criticises any apect of their usage is wrong and should be mocked :)

I love Apple products but not so much that ill jump to Apple inc.s defense every time someone says their product could be better!

Not sure if theyre 'the most valuable company in the world' but they've been overtaken in terms of smartphone sales by android and who's to say tablets wont go the same way in time.

Remember where this rant started?! A clear disadvantage with dropbox in ipad compared to dropbox on android, which you both ignored in your zombie-like defense of the Apple machine! Gonna admit it's sometimes frustrating how Apple manipulate the use of their products rather than being more open??

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha, not denying Apple are a huge successful business. Their products are excellent and ahead of the curve, but their best trick is convincing their own customers that anyone who criticises any apect of their usage is wrong and should be mocked :)

I love Apple products but not so much that ill jump to Apple inc.s defense every time someone says their product could be better!
It's certainly not Apple's job to manage customer reactions be it someone singing praises or challenging their products or services. They've developed what was once a cult following into a broad spectrum of loyalists both in the private and enterprise sectors by creating products that exceed anything else in the market and backing them up with some of the highest quality customer service of any company, nothing more, nothing less.

It's unfortunate that there are some that think they can do no wrong because nothing could be further from the truth. They have made mistakes in the past and no doubt will do so in the future. Based on historical data the odds are their mistakes will be smaller and less often than the competition's.

No rational person, Apple fanboy or otherwise, thinks Apple is perfect. Those that make such statements are no different than those that troll forums like this one saying the opposite and simply looking for a reaction.

Not sure if theyre 'the most valuable company in the world' but they've been overtaken in terms of smartphone sales by android and who's to say tablets wont go the same way in time.
I stand corrected, second most valuable company in the world as ranked by market capitalization (just behind ExxonMobil):

Market Cap Rankings

With respect to smart phone sales the fact is that up until a couple of months ago the iPhone was only available from one carrier in the U.S. and a very limited number world-wide. Every carrier on the planet has been selling Android based smart phones (hundreds of variations from multiple manufacturers...all with their own spin on how the OS should work) for a while now. The fact that the tens of millions of iPhone's being sold is anywhere near that of the Android's sales says volumes about both products IMO. As more and more carriers are able to offer the iPhone a more level playing field will appear and we'll see how it goes. Frankly I couldn't be more pleased that someone is finally challenging the iPhone...competition is good and the consumer will be the winner!

When it comes to tablets I've had the opportunity to spend some time with everything that's on the market. To a one they all come up being "wannabies". If someone can exceed the iPad's standards that's fine...a better mousetrap and all of that. Again, competition is good.

Remember where this rant started?! A clear disadvantage with dropbox in ipad compared to dropbox on android, which you both ignored in your zombie-like defense of the Apple machine!
Some apps are bound to work better than others on different OS's...nature of the beast. I'd like DropBox and some other apps to work better on my iPad as well. Most developers strive to improve their products and prosper, others don't and the marketplace dictates who will succeed.

Our "defense" of Apple had nothing to do with the DropBox post, it was a response to this statement:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but that seemed so over the top on so many levels. It's those kinds of blanket statements that are going to get "attacked", not the fact that software isn't up to expectations.

Gonna admit it's sometimes frustrating how Apple manipulate the use of their products rather than being more open??

Agreed that Apple's "walled garden" approach can be frustrating sometimes. However the fact that they can almost guarantee that all of their products will "just work" based on superior management of the hardware and software hasn't been a mistake by any measure.

Best of luck with your iPad or whatever you end up with!

Last edited:

jjmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's certainly not Apple's job to manage customer reactions be it someone singing praises or challenging their products or services. They've developed what was once a cult following into a broad spectrum of loyalists both in the private and enterprise sectors by creating products that exceed anything else in the market and backing them up with some of the highest quality customer service of any company, nothing more, nothing less.

It's unfortunate that there are some that think they can do no wrong because nothing could be further from the truth. They have made mistakes in the past and no doubt will do so in the future. Based on historical data the odds are their mistakes will be smaller and less often than the competition's.

No rational person, Apple fanboy or otherwise, thinks Apple is perfect. Those that make such statements are no different than those that troll forums like this one saying the opposite and simply looking for a reaction.

I stand corrected, second most valuable company in the world as ranked by market capitalization (just behind ExxonMobil):

With respect to smart phone sales the fact is that up until a couple of months ago the iPhone was only available from one carrier in the U.S. and a very limited number world-wide. Every carrier on the planet has been selling Android based smart phones (hundreds of variations from multiple manufacturers...all with their own spin on how the OS should work) for a while now. The fact that the tens of millions of iPhone's being sold is anywhere near that of the Android's sales says volumes about both products IMO. As more and more carriers are able to offer the iPhone a more level playing field will appear and we'll see how it goes. Frankly I couldn't be more pleased that someone is finally challenging the iPhone...competition is good and the consumer will be the winner!

When it comes to tablets I've had the opportunity to spend some time with everything that's on the market. To a one they all come up being "wannabies". If someone can exceed the iPad's standards that's fine...a better mousetrap and all of that. Again, competition is good.

Some apps are bound to work better than others on different OS's...nature of the beast. I'd like DropBox and some other apps to work better on my iPad as well. Most developers strive to improve their products and prosper, others don't and the marketplace dictates who will succeed.

Our "defense" of Apple had nothing to do with the DropBox post, it was a response to this statement:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but that seemed so over the top on so many levels. It's those kinds of blanket statements that are going to get "attacked", not the fact that software isn't up to expectations.

Gonna admit it's sometimes frustrating how Apple manipulate the use of their products rather than being more open??

Agreed that Apple's "walled garden" approach can be frustrating sometimes. However the fact that they can almost guarantee that all of their products will "just work" based on superior management of the hardware and software hasn't been a mistake by any measure.

Best of luck with your iPad or whatever you end up with!

Fair points well made.

Only thing i would say is that i think the difference in the way dropbox operates has little to do with the different OS's, and lots to do with apple wanting an opportunity to cross sell music each time you're forced to use itunes to put songs on your device. And that Apple's motivation to have tight control of the app market is all about profiteering - although i agree that better quality apps is a welcome byproduct.

Both are totally objective points! My iphone 4 will be traded in for a samsung galaxy s2 unless the iphone 5 tips the balance back in apples favour. My ipad isnt going anywhere until the alternatives get a LOT better looking!

chazguitar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is an old discussion, but I am new to iPad. Yes, I agree that it's crippling, as if we haven't spent the last 30 years learning basic file management. Does the Apple architecture presume that the user had better not handle files? I have a collection my own original music in mp3 and wav format, and want to store them on my iPad. I have to figure out the rules that Apple will let me play by.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
this is an old discussion, but I am new to iPad. Yes, I agree that it's crippling, as if we haven't spent the last 30 years learning basic file management. Does the Apple architecture presume that the user had better not handle files? I have a collection my own original music in mp3 and wav format, and want to store them on my iPad. I have to figure out the rules that Apple will let me play by.

...it's not rocket science..these files are easily moved to the iPad via iTunes. It's been this way for years for anyone who has ever heard of an iPod. Or, the can go beyond this using iTunes Match, Amazon Cloud, etc, for streaming options of your own files to any iDevice. You can even set up a personal cloud -- located in your own house, using your own storage -- and stream to any locations you happen to be at.

Hamors

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the above. However, In the mean time we are 2 years further. Is there now a way in shuffling these favourites or make them all play, or repeat or something like that as itis very annoying to click them song by song........:(

Ted13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Up to date info on the best way to side-load music is appreciated! I gave my (80yr old dad) my old iPad 1, and he doesn't have anything else other than an ancient Linux box so iTunes is not an option -- also he lives in another continent so I can't do it for him. The only way I have to add to the music I preloaded for him is via the Internet, directly to his iPad.

How best to, and most user friendly (crucial here) to do it via Dropbox or something else?

Most reactions

Latest posts