What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reject read receipt requests

kstrickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I use outlook at my desk, I have it set to reject all requests for read receipts.

But if I read an email on my ipad2 it always sends out a read receipt whenever requested.

How do I protect my reading privacy, by having the ipad2 also always reject requests for read receipts?

Thanks !

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This is not possible with the current mail app on iOS.

(also keep in mind that the end user could use a read reciept that does not even ask you if they wanted. Just by you viewing it they know you have read it.)

Last edited:
OP
K

kstrickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will a third party app

Thank you for your reply.

Is there a third party email app for the ipad2 that will do that?

Does everyone use the native email ipad2 client, or do people use other apps?

Thanks

OP
K

kstrickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Mike,
But are there other email apps for the iPad2 that are considered respected and reliable?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
there are other email apps, I have not seen any that would be as reliable as the built in mail app as far as getting push notification. If you dont mind not knowing if you got new emails until you actualy open the apple and check then you could try a 3rd party email app.

Sparrow is a good email client for Mac that is now on iOS however I have not used it and it doesnt do push notification. I also dont know of any that would allow you to deny sending of read reciept.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Now that I think about it, I dont think the ipad mail app even sends read receipts. Are you sure that read receipts are being sent back to people?

I just did a test and sent an email from my works exchange email using Outlook with both a Delivery and Read Receipt request.

I got the delivery receipt, but that's done by the email service not anything to do with the iPad. No Read Receipt was ever sent back after reading the email on my ipad.

Last edited:
OP
K

kstrickoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I know is that I have tested it, and the senders of emails to me, when I have read the emails, get a receipt.
But they do not get a receipt if I read their email in my Outlook at my desk, since I set the options in Outlook to reject receipt requests.
I am also checking with my email exchange provider (cloud service) to see if they have any settings to be tweaked.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have tested Hotmail, GMail and Me.com. Non of them returned a "read receipt" when I opened the emails under iOS 5.1.

Most reactions