What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to restore before jailbreak to 4.2.1?

locovino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Simple question here: I have a jailbroken iPad which is at 3.2 and I want to use Greenpoison to bump it up to a jailbroken 4.2.1 version. Do I need to restore the device with iTunes and wipe everything away or can I just upgrade to 4.2.1 and then jailbreak again? Thanks in advance for the advice.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
locovino said:
Hi all,

Simple question here: I have a jailbroken iPad which is at 3.2 and I want to use Greenpoison to bump it up to a jailbroken 4.2.1 version. Do I need to restore the device with iTunes and wipe everything away or can I just upgrade to 4.2.1 and then jailbreak again? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Updating is pretty much a restore, so update to 4.2.1 and then jailbreak.

OP
L

locovino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK good.

I was just wondering if I needed to restore first but it sounds like I can just upgrade to 4.2.1 and then re-jailbreak the device. After that I guess I just go through Cydia again to get all of my jailbreak apps back in place.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can do that, but if you run into any problems at all, particularly if performance seems degredated significnatly after the upgrade, I would suggest a clean restore to 4.2.1, particularly since your 3.x was already jailbroken.
3.x to 4.x is a major OS upgrade and not all jailbreak apps play nice between versions. You can catch a lot of the problems when doing a clean install as you will typically get warnings when installing, but with an upgrade things may just crash or cause problems because the incompatabilites were not detected at install.
Just keep that in mind if you experience issues...

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK good.

I was just wondering if I needed to restore first but it sounds like I can just upgrade to 4.2.1 and then re-jailbreak the device. After that I guess I just go through Cydia again to get all of my jailbreak apps back in place.

That's exactly how I did it and I have had no problems at all.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
You can do that, but if you run into any problems at all, particularly if performance seems degredated significnatly after the upgrade, I would suggest a clean restore to 4.2.1, particularly since your 3.x was already jailbroken.
3.x to 4.x is a major OS upgrade and not all jailbreak apps play nice between versions. You can catch a lot of the problems when doing a clean install as you will typically get warnings when installing, but with an upgrade things may just crash or cause problems because the incompatabilites were not detected at install.
Just keep that in mind if you experience issues...

That's what he was going to do. But yes, I would always do a total clean upgrade before jailbreaking.

Most reactions

Latest posts