What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to import movies

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do I put my downloaded divx and hd xvids on my ipad? first ios device...

Sprintina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much anything that you need to do with idevices you do with itunes. I had a couple digital movies that were on my iphone and also sync'd to itunes. I was able to copy/paste them from within itunes from its library of my movies to the ipad device's entry and that entry's video option (again within itunes and done while the ipad was plugged in). As I did each one, itunes can sync (copy) them to the ipad.

Last edited:
OP
D

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do i add them in itunes? I goto "Add file to library" and chose the file bit nothing happens

Sprintina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have "Movies" highlighted under "Library" before doing the "Add File..."?

OP
D

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sprintina said:
Do you have "Movies" highlighted under "Library" before doing the "Add File..."?

Yea... Are there any restrictions?

Sprintina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea... Are there any restrictions?

There may be, espeically if you ripped your own. The two that I tried were from digital copies on DVDs that had timed downloads from the studio websites, so haven't tried moving some of my others yet (they are on a linux box).

OP
D

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sprintina said:
There may be, espeically if you ripped your own. The two that I tried were from digital copies on DVDs that had timed downloads from the studio websites, so haven't tried moving some of my others yet (they are on a linux box).

What kind of file extensions

Sprintina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe you'll have to convert.avi. Also found my movie files and they are m4v. Not sure about x.264.

Sprintina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah - you're going to have to convert it. I have used Audacity to convert (via Lame). It actually goes pretty quick.

armoredsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to load the movies from my desktop to the ipad from iTunes, but it wouldn't let me load Robin Hood on it for some weird reason?

OP
D

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sprintina said:
Yeah - you're going to have to convert it. I have used Audacity to convert (via Lame). It actually goes pretty quick.

What format did you convert to? How's the quality?

Sprintina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have converted some .mov videos (from digital cameras) and .avi vidoes using the LAME plugin (convert to mp4 or m4v) using Audacity and they weren't bad considering the sources. Scaled up, they are blocky. Itunes itself can convert some too (like .movs or some drm-free wmas).

Am heading off to bed (been up since 4 am) but want to do some testing this weekend with some of my videos... With the resolution on this new ipad, I can see where there could be issues with low res videos if they get scaled up.

Most reactions

Latest posts