What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to import Google Earth files

zesandler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other note:
On ipad the "current location" button is in the top menu bar when in google earth. The functionality described above works on the ipad (according to a friend's testing).

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry but I followed your steps but it didn't work.
Any other ideas on how to get this on my iPad.
Also how do you get a google earth account

Dean01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First: Does your friend have Google Earth installed on his/her phone?

If you email the kml as an attachment vs. navigating directly to the kml file uploaded to the web (use some sort of FTP to accomplish this), iPhone 4 will first display the kml source code. To open with Google Earth to click on the top right on the "download" button (looks like the arrow in a folder deal). This will provide you three options: Open in Google Earth, Print, or Cancel.

Click "Open in Google Earth" and Google Earth should open to the extent of the kml. Use the find location icon (bottom left of the iphone) to find your current location.

Hope this helps. Test this if you want to see what I'm working with: vtid.us/test/zetest.kml

Contact me if you need further assistance: zach at vtid . us

Thanks for the instructions. I have sent various methods to try and open the file using your instructions to my friend with the iPhone. When I send him the network link and it downloads the code he says there is no option to open it in google earth. He does have google earth installed however. When I email him a small KML file he can open the file with google earth but it starts acting erractic and he is forced to close. I will have to go see for myself what is happening with the files on his phone. I have been looking around for an App that will be more KML user friendly for the iPhone - I see there is a GPS-TRK2 program that costs about $10 and it claims to be able to import/export KML files - has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks

davidatoakside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No need to upload the KML file. Just email it to yourself on the ipad. Then pressandhold on the .kml attachment ant click on "open in google earth". Works fine for me

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, now that we have the wonderful ios5, can any one tell me how to get my subscription newspapers into the newsstand ? I currently have them in a folder but would be cuffed to get them across.
Cheers

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mjtyler said:
Hi all, now that we have the wonderful ios5, can any one tell me how to get my subscription newspapers into the newsstand ? I currently have them in a folder but would be cuffed to get them across.
Cheers

Whoops sorry wrong forum

Cycl0ne184

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an ipad gps app (motion x) that allows me to send a kmz file by email. When I clicked the kmz email attachment on my iPad and selected "open in google earth" it would not display track as others in thread have reported.

I resolved by installing free "KMZ Loader" app. Now in email I select "open in" and one of the apps you can open the kmz with is KMZ Loader. Once KMZ Loader opens click open KMZ and voila now you can see the track in GE on the iPad. Hope this helps someone.

Tony

Most reactions