What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get rid of top hits iOS7

AsianBoyStyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just downloaded the iOS7 and although a lot of people have been praising how good it is, I have a minor complaint and i'd like to know how to resolve it: how do you get rid of the annoying "top hits" section that pops up below the browsing tab??? I tried going to settings and going to the "smart search" section and turned off the "preload top hits" option, but it still does it! Any help would be mucn appreciated!

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those aren't top hits. Those are bookmarks. You have to edit them thru the bookmark system.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just downloaded the iOS7 and although a lot of people have been praising how good it is, I have a minor complaint and i'd like to know how to resolve it: how do you get rid of the annoying "top hits" section that pops up below the browsing tab??? I tried going to settings and going to the "smart search" section and turned off the "preload top hits" option, but it still does it! Any help would be mucn appreciated!

As Skull One points out, those are the bookmarks you have in Favorite bookmarks folder. That is, if this is what you mean:

ju4emy6y.jpg

You can rid of them if you go into your Bookmarks (the book icon at the top right of Safari), navigate to your Favorites folder and then swipe to the left on the bookmark to reveal the delete key (or, tap the Edit key to edit them):

a3aje5u8.jpg

Marilyn

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OP is referring to what happens after you start typing in a URL in a blank tab.. it's immediately filled with "top hits" and "Google Search" hits. I have that feature turned off but it's still active. I would be happy if nothing is displayed when I type in a URL, it's quite annoying.

Take a look at the screenshot.. do you notice all of the junk below the tab while I type?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2,190
Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ardchoille thanks for clarifying the OPs question. Totally missed that.

OK, the feature does work when you turn off both "Search Suggestions" and "Preload Top Hit". BUT (yes there is always a but) it doesn't delete the pre-cached results from before the time you turned it off. To do that you also need to "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data". Then iOS 7 should respect the "Preload Top Hit" being turned off.

Sorry about the confusion.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OP is referring to what happens after you start typing in a URL in a blank tab.. it's immediately filled with "top hits" and "Google Search" hits. I have that feature turned off but it's still active. I would be happy if nothing is displayed when I type in a URL, it's quite annoying.

Take a look at the screenshot.. do you notice all of the junk below the tab while I type?

Oh, I see.

But, I can turn the suggestions off in the Settings app:

esube8y7.jpg

You may have to fully close and re-open Safari for it to take effect...

Oh, and I've got to correct my post above. You can select any folder to show bookmarks from when first tapping in the Safari unibar. I just happened to have Favorites coincidentally set as my Favorites. But, that is changeable through the Safari tab in the Settings app; you can have any folder' scion tents appear there.

Marilyn

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, Marilyn and Skull One! As usual, the knowledgeable folks here hop in willingly and do what they can - that is what make these forums so awesome.

I'll have to clear everything out of Safari later and start over so I don't see those annoying items. I don't mind companies trying to help, but the first step in trying to help is to ask IF a person feels they need help.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just cleared everything in Safari and I'm still seeing the things that the OP is talking about. I have had these features turned off for a week because I see them as annoying. However, it seems that turning off "Search engine suggestions" and "Preload top hits" isn't turning them off. Am I misunderstanding something?

The below screenshot was taken after clearing all cookies, data, and history in Safari.. the "Top hits" and "Search engine suggestions" are still being displayed:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 972
Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Going to guess you have everything displayed there as a bookmark.

That would make sense. Still, I feel that the URL field itself and the area below the tab shouldn't change as you type, it's a bit annoying. Anytime a large visual element, such as the area below the tabs changes, it can disrupt work flow.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@AsianBoyStyle, My apologies for the apparent commandeering of your thread. I try not to do this but sometimes my brain goes off on a tangent.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just cleared everything in Safari and I'm still seeing the things that the OP is talking about. I have had these features turned off for a week because I see them as annoying. However, it seems that turning off "Search engine suggestions" and "Preload top hits" isn't turning them off. Am I misunderstanding something?

The below screenshot was taken after clearing all cookies, data, and history in Safari.. the "Top hits" and "Search engine suggestions" are still being displayed:

When I have both those two lines turned off in the Smart Search tab in Settings (i.e. the buttons aren't green), I do not get the "Top Hits" line. So, it's weird that you do. I do, however, see a "Top Hits" line when you start to type, but it disappears after you type a second letter.

Did you fully close Safari? What about a reset? Maybe that'll help...?

Weird.

Marilyn

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I have both those two lines turned off in the Smart Search tab in Settings (i.e. the buttons aren't green), I do not get the "Top Hits" line. So, it's weird that you do. I do, however, see a "Top Hits" line when you start to type, but it disappears after you type a second letter.

Did you fully close Safari? What about a reset? Maybe that'll help...?

Weird.

Marilyn

Hmm.. I hadn't thought about a reset, but that solved the problem. A reset is basically a full reboot, correct?

Thanks, Marilyn!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I hadn't thought about a reset, but that solved the problem. A reset is basically a full reboot, correct?

Thanks, Marilyn!

Yes, a reset is a reboot; it's just Apple's terminology. But, it's the one where you hold both the sleep and Home buttons until you get the Apple logo. In Apple terms, that's a reset.

Glad it solved it for you.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts