What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get my Notes out of iPad without using iTunes?

jimjxr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Big problem here, I jolted down some notes on iPad a few days ago, now I got a new iPad and needs to transfer the notes to the new one. I connected the old ipad to PC, thinking I can get the notes out this way, but iTunes pops up the infamous "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPad" message. Of course I cannot restore to factory setting inside iTunes since that would wipe out my notes, I tried hard reboot and reset all settings using General->Reset, none of them works. I tried 3 different PCs (XP/Vista/Win7), all of them have the same error message. So I guess there's no way I can use iTunes to get the notes out, what other choice do I have? I tried to email the notes, but haven't received them. Assuming email doesn't work, anything else?

Thanks

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email the notes to yourself and then copy and paste those in to notes on new iPad.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mails easiest and fastest. Made a free google account just to transfer junk.

That said, take a look at evernote (free) which syncs all your notes with your other machines and you can even log in via the web if need be.
You need never have your notes at the mercy of a piece of hardware again :)

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to email the notes, but haven't received them. Assuming email doesn't work, anything else?
Copy them, then send them as a message to this forum (perhaps one of the less-frequented threads).

Then copy from there onto a computer.

Then go back to the forum (on iPad) and edit (delete) your message.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Slow, but should work.

Get a DropBox account at dropbox.com, if you don't already have one. Get the free app from the App Store. You probably don't need this, but it will come in handy for checking the account and making sure things work.

Search in the App Store for a note taking app that syncs with drop box. I did a search for notes and dropbox. Plain Text - Dropbox text editing, is free. The reviews are mixed, but you only need it to work well enough to get your text to DrobBox. After that, you've got lots of ways to get it to the new iPad.

Now it gets tedious. Open each note, copy, then open your new note app and paste it into a new note.

On you're new iPad get the DropBox app. Do some research and find a good note taking app you like that will stay synced in the cloud. Maybe even the one you used to get the notes too DropBox. Most will let you open a note in DropBox and then Open with in a another app. Be sure the app you choose supports Apple's Open with protocol if it does not directly sync with DropBox. This will avoid the problem in the future. I like Evernote, but there are lots of options.

Last edited:
OP
J

jimjxr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the replies are very helpful, I used Evernote to get my notes out although I'll try out dropbox in the future.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
DropBox is very handy in a general sort of way.

Evernote is optimized for note taking, and my choice for that hands down. One of the reasons being that I can use it with all my toys no matter what the OS.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just school yourself to filling in tags when you make your notes and you'll discover just how useful Evernote can be. Great combo with the iPad.

Most reactions