What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get music from iPad to stereo system

Rvh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a great stereo system and I want to connect the iPad to it for music. Other than the headphone jack to an RCA jack input on the receiver I have no idea how to do it. Any suggestions? Please don't suggest apple tv.

Also, When I connect both the iPod andipad through the headphone jack the sound from the iPod is far superior to the iPad. Any idea why this might be the case? The only difference in the system is the playback device. Very weird.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get Apple TV, connects directly to your system and you control your music from your iPad or iPhone using the free remote control app.

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both Apple TV 2 and Airport Express. If you don't want to go that route, you are pretty much limited to the headphone jack.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a great stereo system and I want to connect the iPad to it for music. Other than the headphone jack to an RCA jack input on the receiver I have no idea how to do it. Any suggestions? Please don't suggest apple tv.

Also, When I connect both the iPod andipad through the headphone jack the sound from the iPod is far superior to the iPad. Any idea why this might be the case? The only difference in the system is the playback device. Very weird.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

I tried AppleTV and found that it won't do what I want it to do. I bought an optical audio output cable (Toslink) and an optical to RCA convertor so that I could play music via AirPlay without needing the TV to turned on. The problem is that ATV won't initiate sound output to Toslink unless the TV (HDMI) is active. You can turn the TV off afterwards buts it's all a bit silly.

For now, I am using the Belkin Bluetooth Reciever which plugs into any available RCA input. After you turn on BT and pair it the iPad with it, you can select it as the output for the iPod app. It appears in the same list as AirPlay.

It seems to work quite well. The only complaint that I have is that if you move the iPad while music is playing, it can interrupt the music. I susecpt that the accelerometer initiates a hardware interrupt.

Paul W. H

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an Apple Composite AV Cable last week and it works with my iPad and stereo system.

Quote from The UK Apple Shop:

Overview

Connect an iPod, iPhone or iPad to your television with the Apple Composite AV Cable, gather up your friends and watch videos or slideshows together on the big screen. You can also connect the Composite AV Cable to your stereo or powered speakers for a room-filling audio experience.

The Composite AV Cable connects to your device or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home cinema receiver or stereo receiver via the composite video and red/white analog audio ports. The cable also features a USB connector that you can plug in to a power source.

Unable to post URL

Paul W. H

Last edited:

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one of these that I frequently use in my car connected to the aux input.

might work for your ipad too.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-BluBridge-mini-jack-Rx-Bluetooth/dp/B0038MA11U/[/ame]

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess numerous AirPlay accessories will show up in the near future. I see a good need for an adapter to integrate into current stereo systems.

OP
R

Rvh

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rvh said:
I am curious if this gives significantly better audio quality than plugging into the headphone jack. Can one of you guys who have the BT device comment?

Thanks

Bob

I'm curious too. In our small Sony theater system I can use the USB/power cord to connect directly. With our big system I use an RCA cable from the earphone socket. In my car I use a cable with same end on both--the mic plug but don't know what you call it. All work nicely and I don't know how much better to expect. How good should we expect the music from the Touch and Ipad to be? And what is the optimum way to use it with a eound system?

Diane

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if an Apple iPod dock would work with iPad? Finding the right wire would be the first hurdle though.

I know that the OP does not want to hear about AppleTV but that's one of the ways I listen to music. And it's not a lot more expensive than an iPod dock too. Mine is plugged on a tv that's plugged in a good sound system... I can play music from the iPad or from the computer wirelessly. What more do you want?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a "Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver". It's a little device that connects to your stereo and you can play all iphone/pad/ipod sounds to your home stereo via bluetooth! I use it daily - great sound and it just works!

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a gizmo, but have a few things you should consider -

All the signals that come through the headphone jack are "processed" through the iPad software, and whatever sound settings that you have - so ideally you want to have the signal go through the 30 pin connector.

If you have digital inputs, it would be better to use these versus analog inputs.

Consider how you have your music stored on your iPad - the average CD album contains about 1/2 GB of data - the average album compressed at 128 Kpbs (default compression of iTunes) and the album is going to be around 25 Mb so your compression is better than 20 X.... So, using an expensive stereo with compressed music is a lot like looking at 640 x 480 jpegs on a high resolution screen.... If you use lossless audio, you will get high quality sound (theoretically same as the CD), but while lossless audio has some compression, it takes up A LOT of space. Why does this matter? Well, if you are using your iPad music as background, and you are using your iTunes library (which I am assuming has standard, or near standard compression)- it won't matter what your solution is, as you should not expect audiophile results - so use the headphone jack, and you will get reasonable sound quality, and you won't spend a lot. If you want audiophile sound - you first need to encode the audio using the lossless option in iTunes, then find a good 30 pin connector to whatever input you prefer using - here is a pinout than any competant electrical person should be able to make a cable for you - Apple iPod, iPad and iPhone dock Connector Pinout - AllPinouts

For a Tweener solution the Apple AV connector is probably pretty reasonable

Last edited:

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Would we notice the difference unless we had a very good sound system? We have a very mid range Sony where I can use the 30 pin input but have a very good system where I use only an RCA cable but still the sound is better. I'm assuming because the system is better. For every day listening I just use whatever radio is in the room and use a cable.

Thanks for your sharing your knowledge.

Diane

Memphis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently ran across an article for a device that might fit the bill. The product is called iStreamer & is about $200. Mfr=High Resolution Technologies & Distributor=Elite Audio / Video Distribution. Hope this helps.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the older Apple tv which offers digital sound through my high end sound system. In the car I use the Parrot 9200 integrated audio hands free which offers both direct connect with full control on a separate remote control and LCD for playlists plus hands free voice activated system for the iPhone or other phones. I can also stream audio from the iPad via Bluetooth. It works with any Bluetooth device.

Most reactions

Latest posts