What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do several activities in same time while watching a youtube video?

Kevin_Barnes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an option to work in email and browse online while watching a youtube video. I mean do several activities while watching a video.
Am I missing something?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on your iPad and iOS version.

You can use two apps at the same time with Split View, Picture in Picture and Slide Over. To use these, iOS 11 or later has to be installed on your device, which has to be an iPad Pro, iPad Air (1 or 2 and later), iPad mini (from 2 or 4 onwards), or iPad (5th generation).

Here’s how to use these:
Use Multitasking on your iPad

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there an option to work in email and browse online while watching a youtube video. I mean do several activities while watching a video...............

Hello Kevin - the link provided by Johanna provides the information to use apps simultaneously in a number of ways, of course, presuming that you have the updated hardware/software that is needed. As an example, when I'm reading a book on my iPad Pro (in the Books or Kindle apps), I often like to have a Safari window open to lookup a more detailed discussion - below is my device in 'split view' - my book on telecommunications open on the left and Safari w/ a Wiki tab on the right (the vertical split bar can be adjusted). Good luck - easy to do w/ the right equipment. Dave :)
IMG_8262.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last I checked YouTube only allows picture-in-picture if you have a subscription. The free account only lets you use p-in-p inside the Youtube app itself. Even then, it sometimes refuses to show p-in-p.

I’ve heard that there a a few apps in the App Store that will make videos playing in Safari work p-in-p. A search of the store may turn them up.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there an option to work in email and browse online while watching a youtube video. I mean do several activities while watching a video.
Am I missing something?

Well, I think that kind of multitasking is hard to do. IF you want to upgrade to iPad Os 13 then you can split and resize screens, there are also apps that allow you to only listen to YouTube while doing other stuff such as Tube Master nad Net Tube.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know. No problem. :)
Besides, all the features you mentioned were posted in the replies above yours, and work with iOS 12 as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts