What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to copy and paste across devices with iOS 11

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

With Universal Clipboard, you can copy and paste between your Apple devices in just a few simple steps

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 12.0.1 latest update for my iPad Air. And since that update I cannot select text on the Net to copy/paste, etc. It seems with every update it messes up our basic functions on the net.

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is ‘handoff’ and where is it found? And where is the Universal Clipboard? And why can’t Apple fix this themselves without our having to get more Apps, etc?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Universal Clipboard is not an app.
Handoff can be turned on in your settings: General - Handoff, enable it.

Handoff and Universal Clipboard allow starting to work on one Apple device, then continuing and finishing the same work on a different Apple device, e.g.

When two of your Apple devices are close to each other, and you copy something on one of them, you an paste it on your other device. It will be available for pasting for a short time.

Last edited:

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Universal Clipboard is not an app.
Handoff can be turned on in your settings: General - Handoff, enable it.

Handoff and Universal Clipboard allow starting to work on one Apple device, then continuing and finishing the same work on a different Apple device, e.g.

When two of your Apple devices are close to each other, and you copy something on one of them, you an paste it on your other device. It will be available for pasting for a short time.

Thanks for your help. My handoff was enabled. I think I need to be more clear. To confuse things more, it’s only on ‘most’ Internet pages that I cannot copy the words from so I can paste them to my own Notes. It just won’t let me highlight sentences/paragraphs. It actually highlights the word I tap on, then when I try to expand that highlight to other words, the highlight collapses on itself.
Thanks again!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Highlighting in Safari can be tricky. For sentences and paragraphs I usually have more luck selecting the last work and expanding up. No idea why. I assume it’s a bug and will be fixed eventually.

Sometimes selection freaks out and own’t let you do much of anything. Refeshing the page usally fixes this. It happens a lot on this forum when you go in/out of edit mode. Another bug, most likely.

Not all web pages will let you select and copy. I don’t know what the criteria is, but it’s a website thing that Safari is honoring rather than Safari itself making the decision.

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Highlighting in Safari can be tricky. For sentences and paragraphs I usually have more luck selecting the last work and expanding up. No idea why. I assume it’s a bug and will be fixed eventually.

Sometimes selection freaks out and own’t let you do much of anything. Refeshing the page usally fixes this. It happens a lot on this forum when you go in/out of edit mode. Another bug, most likely.

Not all web pages will let you select and copy. I don’t know what the criteria is, but it’s a website thing that Safari is honoring rather than Safari itself making the decision.

It doesn’t matter whether you select the first or last word, the highlight collapses on itself and freezes there. Good to know this may be a website thing... can’t imagine why they’d deprive us. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can select the word at all, then it is probalby not the website blocking, but a bug/problem in Safari. Refreshing the site will sometimes fix this, temporarily.

It’s when you can not even select a word that the website is probalby blocking. Usualy it is just images and/or vidoes they are trying to block, but sometimes blocks of text will be uncopyable

Sometimes you can get around it by selecting something that can be copied, and expanding the selection around the blocked image and/or text. And sometimes not.

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can select the word at all, then it is probalby not the website blocking, but a bug/problem in Safari. Refreshing the site will sometimes fix this, temporarily.

It’s when you can not even select a word that the website is probalby blocking. Usualy it is just images and/or vidoes they are trying to block, but sometimes blocks of text will be uncopyable

Sometimes you can get around it by selecting something that can be copied, and expanding the selection around the blocked image and/or text. And sometimes not.

There’s no ‘expanding’ at all, no matter what you try. I’m beginning to think this is a bug/virus from Safari (Apple). Not much we can do about that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is it a specific website, or a variety? If you don’t mind sharing the sites (and I don’t have to sign up for anything) I”m willing to take a look and see how they work for me.

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a specific website, or a variety? If you don’t mind sharing the sites (and I don’t have to sign up for anything) I”m willing to take a look and see how they work for me.

That’s okay...it’s all too complicated and highlighting isn’t the only problem. And... on one site things either work or they don’t, they just don’t work consistently.

But thanks for your efforts and time spent on my problem. I really do appreciate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts