What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often do you see another iPad owner?

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aside from my mother and my cousin having one (and graciously letting me play with theirs since I don't have one yet) the only one I've ever seen out in public was at the San Francisco airport. Guy was sitting there playing on it eating a cinnamon roll.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only seen one other person since release (not including at the apple store).

I find it quite odd that even though so many iPads have been sold, they seem so rare...

Everyone around me is always whispering, "Hey look, its an iPad..."

Same here but i havent seen no one with one yet. I love the Wow factor it gives people when i whip it out..lmao

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen some iPads in public, mostly in other countries.In Romania i have seen only like 10 or so, if I countries my friends too, maybe I can say 15, but not more.

It may be because people are using is more at home than in public...

Gary_P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rarely see one in public either. Surprisingly this weekend I was at a hotel where there was a sports team of kids with parents. In the lobby at breakfast it was rare to see that kids were sitting around playing games on 6 or 7 iPads

Looked strange indeed.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work in IT at a University, and I would guess I see 1 or 2 every week.

But hey folks, Not seeing many iPads, is not statistically surprising at all.
Test it for yourself, and try this....

Randomly choose a specific model of a specific brand of laptop.
Now see how many of that specific model of laptop you see in the next month.
And how many iPads.

Which number is higher?

I had a Sony VIAO last year and I was surprised that almost every time I went somewhere I would see that same model VIAO a lot. That was a popular brand of laptop for a while. It fizzled out though.

How about comparing it to a particular brand of phone. Last yeR I got a Droid by Motorola. The first trip I took to Philly I had two layovers. On the flight from Philly I rooted the phone of the guy sitting next to me and the couple sitting behind us in the next row watched intently as they both had Droids. Then in Salt Lake city, the layover, I sat in the bar waiting for my next flight and the girl sitting next to me had a Droid and she commented that mine seemed to be faster than hers...so I rooted it.

At the terminal I counted 7 folks with Droids. Those were the ones who had them out of their pockets. Granted...this was a big airport.

Just saying...

But reality OS most people don't take their iPads on the road like they would a cell phone. It sits on the coffee table at home. Maybe at a conference for note taking. Possibly at a starbucks or barnes and noble. It's going to be limited. While a iPhone or Droid is going to be more visible because it is easier to carry on you where you go. If the iPad had a hone line I bet we would see more of them.

Nate

Reaction score
Now that I think of it I haven't seen anyone else with an IPad. But when I was leaving best buy I was crossing the street while looking at my iPad when this old guy was driving he stopped short and rolled down his window, and I thought he was going to curse at me but instead he said "hey, nice iPad!" lol

Screamjeanne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen one. Though a couple of my friends have them, but never seen them use it. I bet we all see a lot more when they drop the prices when 2 comes out.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the reason most people don't see them very often is because it just isn't that portable of a device. The only time mine leaves the house is when I am traveling. I can't do any work with it so I don't take it to the office, and when I need something to take with me somewhere I have my iPod Touch.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen a few... in church, my brother in law has two...
before I bought mine, I saw a guy sitting on a bench reading, and I asked him how well it worked in the sun, and he showed me it worked fine, influencing my decision.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen 4 since I've had mine

I don't know about other people but I feel the ipad is really portable, and easy to carry around
I don't notice the weight of it in my bag while at university or walking places.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3 others at my office alone! The proliferation is increasing for sure... For me, mine goes pretty much everywhere (work / school)...

Eatosk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few out and about here is OZ. That's not surprising though, Aussies per captita would be the fastest adopters of new technology.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in little old Rhode Island never see one outside the apple store in the mall. I'm assuming if there is one around they are usually tucked away in a bag and not just out naked in someone hand. But every time I seem a small black square figure I think its an iPad lol. On thing I did notice when I go to New York City they are plenty of iPads in walkers hand I keep mine and I little net book size sling. Ipad fits there nicely with all my other tiny gadgets.

Most reactions