What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often do we have to install iOS9?

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just booted my iPad Air to find a message that iOS9 was available to install. Obediently, I hit Install.
This is the third time. I am more than a little interested to know how many more times I will be asked to install it.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just booted my iPad Air to find a message that iOS9 was available to install. Obediently, I hit Install.
This is the third time. I am more than a little interested to know how many more times I will be asked to install it.
The first time was 9.0, the second was 9.0.2, and this most recent time was 9.1. They are known as updates - each installation is an improvement upon the previous release.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every time Apple updates iOS 9 you will receive another notice that an update is available. This will continue until the release of iOS 10 next September.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The first few minor updates usually come fast. This is Apple fixing issues with the first release. No matter how good your are, there are always bugs that don't get found until millions of people are using your OS on every conceivable device and configuration available.

Most of the bugs should have been found by now, so I expect the rate of releases to slow down. From now on it's probably going to be about minor feature changes or additions, security updates, and swatting whatever bugs remain. There are always more bugs to swat.

The good news is that minor (point) updates rarely cause problems. They also take less time. As long as you are not a jailbreaker, minor releases are good news. They make your device more stable, and sometimes include slight increases in speed or battery life; as Apple tweaks things for real world use.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is Apple fixing issues with the first release. No matter how good your are, there are always bugs that don't get found until millions of people are using your OS on every conceivable device and configuration available.

That used to be referred to a Beta Testing and was an excuse for not systematically testing the thing yourself before you sent it to market. A lazy-man's way to test, if you like.

I don't mind tweaking, or fault correction, but I get a bit snarky about people chewing up my data allocation with endless updates that are the size of the original download. Surely fixes can be small patches, not a download of the whole box and dice every time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi scifan57

Does this mean that next September we start all over again?
Since Apple releases a new version of iOS every year, the rapid updates we've seen with iOS 9 since its release last month will almost certainly happen after the release of iOS 10.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That used to be referred to a Beta Testing and was an excuse for not systematically testing the thing yourself before you sent it to market. A lazy-man's way to test, if you like.

I don't mind tweaking, or fault correction, but I get a bit snarky about people chewing up my data allocation with endless updates that are the size of the original download. Surely fixes can be small patches, not a download of the whole box and dice every time.
Apple does test their systems, and there is even a public beta program. However, testing for every possible use case prior to release is simply not possible.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score

How are you updating your iPad? If you're doing it through iTunes, then you will always download the full iOS package for the update. But if you use your iPad and go to Settings -> General -> Software Update, then you'll download a smaller patch file. If I remember correctly the last update to 9.1 was only 233 MB when done this way as an OTA update (Over The Air).

be5c84cc88018e0051d58529f1d80cd5.jpg

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts