What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many pay for 3G /4G SERVICE?

Onfriday9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I wouldn't take tech advice from you given what you've just posted. All it takes is a google of a few seconds to find info on increasing risks tied to public wifi. Check article dates. There are plenty of current ones.

Google big foot an see what you get..

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should be careful what you believe in what you get from the first few hits of Google.. ;-)

But I will agree with the other poster that VPN makes things airtight with public wifi.. That's a very good option. But it costs between $10-20/month for a VPN (Virtual Private Network) account. But they're very easy to set up in your iPhone or iPad. And they do save you a TON of $ when out of the country by basically giving you an American IP address thru which all data flows. Even texts if they're iMessages. And even calls if you use Skype. Regular texts to non Apple iOS 5 people would NOT flow thru the VPN. And the VPN tunnel works on 3G or Wifi!

It cost me $55 a year with 122 PTPP servers in 11 cities and 2 countries(U.S. and UK)
One day I would like to build my own VPN at home.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What particular credentials do you have to hold up to mine to determine that my input to you is 'bogus'? It's irrefutable that you're open to just as much hacking risk on 3G or public wifi. Whether or not you 'believe it' or regardless of what your Google searches have found doesn't change that reality. You've been taking a lot of refuge in the idea that your financial data is safe just as long as you're not on public wifi. Okay then.. I'm glad you 'feel' safe... ;-) (But I assure you - you're not)

I don't need to present you with credentials. Lol. You are presumptuous to think that I would.

As I said, people can do their own research and make up their own minds.

As I mentioned, your earlier post was enough to tip off that you don't know what you're talking about, but people can make up their own minds about that, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's in our nature to believe so it's quite easy for us to accept a false sense of security for the real deal.

AA

Basically the only real way to avoid hacking of any sort is to stay offline entirely. If that's not an option, precautions are available, but that's up to individuals.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And your comments also reveal your lack of 'experience' on the topic as well, which the use of Google hits as proof of your point might also tip us off to.

And sadly, no, people can't always figure out for themselves if they're counting on Google for blog posts by every Tom, Richard and Harry who professes to know something. Better that they listen to many of the 30+ year professionals in electronics and IT here.

Google is a tool like many others; there's plenty of information, good and bad. And it takes sense to decide what's useful. If you choose to rely on random blog posts, that's not Google's doing, lol.

As for experience, the tech industry isn't a good place to try to flaunt 30 years. It's widely known that new blood can easily kick old butt in tech. In IT, people are judged by the info and the skills they bring, and keep updating, not by decades.

Last edited:

Bse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a contract with 3 mobile £25.00 a month and I get 15gb each month, I travel a lot with work, and so far in the last 4 months, I have had an excellent signal everywhere I've been. Most weeks I work 6/7 days so getting wifi only wasn't an option, as so far all the sits I've worked at have no wifi network.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Right, let's keep this on track, it seems everyone has sorted there laundry out here, so let's put a line under it, continue the discussion and use this forum for what it's here for, to absorb knowledge and give freely back what you have learnt.

Any more problems and thread will be closed.

Many thanks.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
I pay 35 dollars a month for 5 GB of data via 3G... It's great. I have access to the web pretty well everywhere I go, including driving down the highway in my vehicle. That's EXACTLY what I got the iPad for... Having the web on demand wherever I normally go.. No need to sniff around for free WiFi spots.

Just today, I was driving around in my car and streaming live audio off the net to my car stereo using the TuneIn radio app.

That's cheap, actually, I pay 30.00 for only 2GB. ;'(

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts