What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does an iPad retain data?

peter4711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering how long an iPad can retain data, particularly apps and app data, with out being connected to a power source? Mine is an iPad 4 with sim card and 64 memory.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering how long an iPad can retain data, particularly apps and app data, with out being connected to a power source? Mine is an iPad 4 with sim card and 64 memory.

Hi Peter - as already stated by Kevin, your apps/data are retained indefinitely. Like so many of our portable devices & accessories these days, NAND Flash Memory is used which is non-volatile and does not require power to be preserved - plenty of hits if you care to 'google' the term in italics, such as HERE.

NOW, flash memory does 'wear out' eventually but I suspect not w/i the ownership time of most of these devices, e.g. I have an iPod Touch 2G that is over 6 y/o and still retains over 100 hrs of MP3 music. Also, keep in mind that there are quality differences between 'flash memory' - the SSD drives in my Apple laptops are certainly better than the inexpensive 'thumb drives' I own. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On the other hand, storing an iPad with no charge for an extended time will cause battery damage. Even turned off, an iPad will slowly lose charge over time. Apple recomends (last I heard) a 50% charge on your device if you intend to turn it off for and extended period of time. Evidently there is a downside to long term storage with 100% charge as well. No idea what that is, but it's probably less damaging than no-charge.

Rechargeable battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This, not how long memory is retained, is the limiting factor in how long you can leave your iPad in storage. That said, I'm not sure how long that that time is. It probably varies a bit; but given that you can buy iPads off the shelf that are more than a year old, you're probably safe with that (at 50% charge).

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still have my iPad 1 that I got a few years back when they first came out. I've let it sit literally for months without using it (with a charged battery) and it's never lost any data... Not only that, the battery life is still pretty good :)

Most reactions