What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Long Before You Find Kindle at Big Lots?

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindles To Be Sold At Some Target Stores Starting April 25

from Consumerist by Chris Morran
kindling-thumb-319x375-39574.jpg
Now that the iPad is upon them, Amazon has finally made a deal to unleash their popular Kindle e-reader to the bricks-and-mortar retail market. Amazon has made a deal with Target that will have Kindles in some of their stores as early as this Sunday.
The first stores to get the Kindle will be in south Florida and the chain's flagship store in downtown Minneapolis. These stores should start selling Kindles on April 25.
Target says it plans on rolling out the device for sale in all its stores, but gave no specific time line as to the whens and wheres.
Says a dude from Target, hopefully with a cool Minnesota accent:
We're excited to be working with Amazon to help even more readers discover Kindle, in-store only at Target... We strive to enhance our product offerings to include surprising products and services at great values so we're proud to be the first brick-and-mortar retailer to sell Kindle, allowing our guests to feel how lightweight and easy on the eyes Kindle is.​
Is this going to be enough for Kindle to maintain its E-reader market share? Or does its lack of color and it singular use put it at a disadvantage?

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I think people that want to primarily read, are still going to be drawn to the kindle. I have a kindle and an ipad. I am going to read on my ipad, in part because I can get some other formats (free books) but if I have a choice, I am reading the kindle. It is just better for reading. I love the ipad, I use the ipad more throughout the day. But I do not think kindles are going to die any time soon.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I think people that want to primarily read, are still going to be drawn to the kindle. I have a kindle and an ipad. I am going to read on my ipad, in part because I can get some other formats (free books) but if I have a choice, I am reading the kindle. It is just better for reading. I love the ipad, I use the ipad more throughout the day. But I do not think kindles are going to die any time soon.

I prefer the iPad for reading, and already sold my ereader. But, I agree with you that some, at least for the near future, prefer the eink. That some though is not huge now, and will only get smaller. Many people buying an iPad are discovering ebooks for the first time, and loving it. The idea of the drab dark grey on light grey eink screen will not appeal to them. Plus, carrying around a electronic gadget for the sole purpose of reading will never be mainstream.

I do think amazon will respond to the iPad, but not with another dull eink display.

Cathie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my kindle a month ago and have missed it during the 3g wait. However, for me the iPad is how I want to read books. I won't have to use a book light if I want to read at night while my husband sleeps and the iPad is soooo much more. The Kindle app was the first app I got so I haven't totally abandoned Amazon.
I think there is a market for kindle and ereaders but I am no longer in that group. (As long as I have my iPad, that is.)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I sold my kindle a month ago and have missed it during the 3g wait. However, for me the iPad is how I want to read books. I won't have to use a book light if I want to read at night while my husband sleeps and the iPad is soooo much more. The Kindle app was the first app I got so I haven't totally abandoned Amazon.
I think there is a market for kindle and ereaders but I am no longer in that group. (As long as I have my iPad, that is.)

Your 3G wait is just about over :)

mlj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personal think I'll keep my Kindle 2. Its the perfect size to carry, there are times when you just want to throw a book in your bag to have with you just in case there is a time you can read. With the Kindle that bag can be much smaller. I also find it easier to read outside and easier to throw in the beach bag. Its great for sitting around the pool (not really close to the water). I also like the way the Kindle lets you load your own ebooks in the Kindle folder and still use all the Kindle features where on the ipad you have to use 3rd party apps and you can't read them with the ibook features. That being said I love the ipad for everything else!!! I really think there is room for both in my life!

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have my iPad yet (not launched until the end of the month here in UK) but whilst I expect it to be my main reading machine, I don't think I'll be getting rid of my e-ink reader anytime soon. I see them as different devices, and a lightweight 6" screen that's readable outdoors sounds like a great thing to slip into the travel bag when going away for a couple of weeks somewhere hot and sunny. Of course, the overall experience of an iPad may be so terriffic that I'll find the e-ink device unbearably clunky, and effectively unusable, so I reserve the right to change my mind... ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts