What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you hide the sub folders in your mail inbox?

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I setup my office imap account on my iPad's mail and have approximately 100 sub folders that I can expand or contract on my PC in my Outlook inbox that are now appearing on my iPad's screen. I cannot contract those sub folders on ther iPad and I only want to see what is in the main inbox. Is there a way to hide these sub folders? All I want to see on the screen of my iPad is the main inbox, sent items, outbox and deleted items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

brucetedder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYC Guy said:
I setup my office imap account on my iPad's mail and have approximately 100 sub folders that I can expand or contract on my PC in my Outlook inbox that are now appearing on my iPad's screen. I cannot contract those sub folders on ther iPad and I only want to see what is in the main inbox. Is there a way to hide these sub folders? All I want to see on the screen of my iPad is the main inbox, sent items, outbox and deleted items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

Hi. I also have this problem as do the directors in my company whose PC's and iPads. Would love to know the workaround to sync Ms Outlook, where the iPad hides the email inbox folders as they are in Outlook. Will watch earnestly.

OP
N

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At this point in time based on the sheer number of iPad owners that also use Outlook I am sure that Apple knows about this ridiculous issue.
Do you know of any independent email app available that will take care of this issue?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NYC Guy said:
At this point in time based on the sheer number of iPad owners that also use Outlook I am sure that Apple knows about this ridiculous issue.
Do you know of any independent email app available that will take care of this issue?

As Marilyn indicated previously, there is not an independent email app available, except what is provided. Outlook is a MicroSoft product. If you can get MicroSoft to develop an app that will synch up with the iPad's email app, so that you can get the functionality of native Outlook, that would be great!

OP
N

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically we are being held hostage because of the ongoing pissing match that takes place between Apple and Microsoft. :thumbsdown:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you say Outlook, are you talking about only syncing when plugged into your PC, or are you actually IMAP'ing to an account on an Exchange server?

Does the folder structure live on a local drive, ie. PST file, or is Outlook syncing to an Exchange mailbox directly?

OP
N

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say Outlook, are you talking about only syncing when plugged into your PC, or are you actually IMAP'ing to an account on an Exchange server?

Does the folder structure live on a local drive, ie. PST file, or is Outlook syncing to an Exchange mailbox directly?

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been on vacation and not online. I am syncing with an exchange server using an IMAP account.

Guitarfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
11 months on...

Does anyone know if there has been any progress? This hacks me off more every week!

OP
N

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not that I have heard of and it should be a fairly easy fix for the geniuses at Apple. When it comes to email functions they are definitely behind the curve.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why do people put their sub-folders directly under the Inbox? It makes more sense to have your folders as sub folders of the mailbox itself. You can still access them via IMAP, but they will not display in your inbox.

OP
N

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do people put their sub-folders directly under the Inbox? It makes more sense to have your folders as sub folders of the mailbox itself. You can still access them via IMAP, but they will not display in your inbox.
Even if they did it that way wouldn't a long list of folders still appear on your iPhone and iPad just like your trash, sent, junk and drafts do?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NYC Guy said:
Even if they did it that way wouldn't a long list of folders still appear on your iPhone and iPad just like your trash, sent, junk and drafts do?

Actually, no they don't appear at all.

OP
N

NYC Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, no they don't appear at all.

I just tried what you suggested and the sub folders still appear. The only difference is that instead of being a sub folder under my Inbox they appear further down the folder list as a independent folder along with the related sub folders.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NYC Guy said:
I just tried what you suggested and the sub folders still appear. The only difference is that instead of being a sub folder under my Inbox they appear further down the folder list as a independent folder along with the related sub folders.

Must be a variation between IMAP and Exchange connections. Mine do not appear at all. But still, isn't that better seeing the the Mail app will open to the inbox anyway? You therefore won't see the extra folders unless you select the entire mailbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts