What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I use the Files app on my iPad Pro?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a reference on the above mentioned topic?

Also, though my pdf files in Goodreader initially showed as .pdf in Files, they have suddenly started showing F+ and pressing for a while on an icon shows that they are of type archive. What the heck has happened and (0n iPados) what the heck is an archive file---and how do I convert it back to .pdf?

Help!

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The standard archive format on the iPad is zip. Goodreader has an unzip function. Just tapping on the file in Goodreader should offer to unzip it. Or, use the Mange Files tab, then select the file and choose unzip.

As for how your file got zipped? No idea.

Goodreader will have both local and iCloud storage folders. When you look at them under the Files app, you’ll see it under “On my iPad” and under iCloud. The distinction is less obvious in the Goodreader app.

You can also uncompress in the Files app. In the icon or list view, just tapping on the file will unzip it. In the column view you need to select the file, then tap the three dot icon in the preview pane, then choose uncompress.

If the Files app is confusing you, you could try reading the iOS 13 User Guide (available as pdf on Apple’s site, or in the iBook store as an ebook.) MacStories also has a comprehensive review of iOS 13.1 with a section on Files that is worth reading, if you want the nitty gritty details.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you much! I had a look at the MacStories article. Very comprehensive an interesting.

Most reactions

Latest posts