What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I transfer photos from PC to my ipad?

chikab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been driving me mad all afternoon!! Im trying to transfer photos from my pc to my ipad by using itunes. Every time I add a new folder containing my photos, the previous one I have just transfered onto my ipad then disappears. I just dont understand why or what Im doing wrong.

I havent had my ipad that long and so Im still getting familiar with it but this one is totally baffling me.

If anyone can help me I would be so grateful and so relieved too!!

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with a usb connection or by sync. once you connect the usb the iPad will recognized it. Freddie

OP
C

chikab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with a usb connection or by sync. once you connect the usb the iPad will recognized it. Freddie

Yes I've done this and know how to transfer them over but I just can't transfer more than one folder. As soon as I transfer the next folder over to my iPad, the first folder then disappears.

readyfreddie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you have enough space? if not it's not going to. work. you can also connect a usb that has an sd card slot. you can purchase sd cards up to 32igbs. i hope this helps. Freddie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not a transfer, it is a sync. If you remove a folder from the sync settings in iTunes it will remove the folder the next time it syncs.

To sync more than one folder, place all the album/folders in one master folder, and choose that to sync (one level deep only). If you chose to sync All, all the folders will become albums. If you choose to sync Selected, you can pick and choose which folders in the main folder get synced.

To edit/change albums on the iPad, make those changes first in the folder you chose, then sync.

I recommend creating a folder and subfolders for just this purpose, then copying photos to those folders (not the originals). This leave you free edit/move/delete photos without worrying about what happens to the originals.

iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

OP
C

chikab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a transfer, it is a sync. If you remove a folder from the sync settings in iTunes it will remove the folder the next time it syncs.

To sync more than one folder, place all the album/folders in one master folder, and choose that to sync (one level deep only). If you chose to sync All, all the folders will become albums. If you choose to sync Selected, you can pick and choose which folders in the main folder get synced.

To edit/change albums on the iPad, make those changes first in the folder you chose, then sync.

I recommend creating a folder and subfolders for just this purpose, then copying photos to those folders (not the originals). This leave you free edit/move/delete photos without worrying about what happens to the originals.

iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Ive only had my ipad a couple of weeks so please excuse my ignorance but when you say....."If you remove a folder from the sync settings in iTunes it will remove the folder the next time it syncs" Im not too sure what you mean by this?

What do I need to do or not do? How am I removing folders from the sync settings?

I know how to put the photos onto my ipad but every time I Apply another folder, the folder I have just put on is then replaced by the next one Im trying to sync!

Can I talk you through what Im doing and perhaps it maybe something really silly Im doing which you can point out or advice me on?

Ok, so I go into Itunes, click on the Ipad device and its asking me to sync photos from......

I then click on the Choose Folder option and selection my folder. I then click on the Apply option and photos then appear on my ipad. Do I then click on the SYNC button towards the bottom right? Ive done this and when I go to add another folder in exactly the same way, this new folder then replaces the the previous one!

I dont know how Ive managed to do it but I have at least 5 folders that have remained on my ipad and are not being replaced. How I did this or why these are remaining when others are being replaced I just cant work out!

I know how to get the photos onto the ipad from my pc.......its just making them stay there thats the problem!!!!!

Many thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes syncs the selected folder. That means that whatever you have selected to sync in iTunes is what gets put on your iPad. If you change folders, then that is what you will see on the iPad. Not that folder and the last one, but exactly what you have selected in iTunes, and nothing else.

That is what sync means, to keep things that same.

So when you selected your first folder it copied that info to the iPad. No problem.

When you selected the next one, iTunes thinks "Oh, we sync this folder instead", not "Oh, we copy these files too". So it removes the old folder and adds the new one.

The way to have multiple folders/albums is to select one folder, and then put subfolders in that folder. All the subfolders become albums.

So you have one master folder. Lets call it iAlbums. You select that folder to sync, but you do not put any pictures in that folder.

Instead you place the folders with pictures in the iAlbums folder. One for each album you want. You might end up with a folder structure that looks something like this.

* iAlbums (what you select to sync in iTunes)
--- Family
--- Pets
--- Undead Party
--- My Backgrounds

This would give you four albums on the iPad with those names.

Only one level down syncs. Any folder placed inside a second folder like:

* iAlbums (selected)
--- Family (syncs as album)
--- Petts (syncs as album)
------ Fluffy (will not sync)

Fluffy will not sync.

Once you select a sync folder, you should not be changing that folder. Leave it alone. Add more folders inside that folder, or remove them from there. Do this in the main folder on the Computer. Not in iTunes' sync settings. Selecting a different folder in iTunes means that you don't want to sync anything in the now unselected folder.

I hope this makes it clearer.

Last edited:

annchurchill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, Follow this steps
1. In the iPad management screen, click the "Photos" tab at the top.
2. Check the "Sync Photos" box at the top.
3. From the drop-down menu next to that, select the program or folder that contains your photo library.
4. Once all your settings are correct, click the "Apply" button at the bottom right corner of the iTunes window to sync again and add photos to your iPad.
5. Photos will consume space on your iPad, so keep that in mind as you select between syncing all photos and individual albums and videos.

Moderation notice:This post has been edited by ipadforums staff in accordance with theForum RulesNo External Links

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts