What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I print from my iPad?

jennyjet747

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an iPad newbie and so far have just been having fun with apps, games, FB etc. I know this thing can do a lot more and I am venturing into new ground but I can't even get it to print!
I have a Kodak ESP7 with wifi. Both the iPad and printer are connected to the same network. It should be easy but it can't find my printer. I had a look at the air print enabled printers but surely it can't be just HP printers that have the ability to print from your iPad?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

paradise36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i am having the exact same problem with the same printer :0( and i don't particularly want to replace my printer does anyone know what I can do to enable my lovely iPad to connect to the kodak printer???any suggestions would be greatly appreciated x

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, only HP's AirPrint printers are directly compatible with the iPad (and stop calling me Shirley).

iOS: AirPrint 101

There are a couple ways around this. One is to use an printing app on the iPad. The current favorite is Print and Share. It will work with most wi-fi printers, and those that it won't work with can be made to work with an additional program loaded on the computer.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. You're computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

I use Printopia, and love it. Tim likes Fingerprint, but he has Windows, and doesn't know what he is missing ;) :D

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

Last edited:
OP
J

jennyjet747

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the great advice. Bought the Print n Share app and it found my printer straight away but is having 'compatibility issues'. Am now waiting for my ancient and stressed out laptop to chug into action and I will try that route :)

OP
J

jennyjet747

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update......I have just printed some docs from my iPad! Having to route it through my laptop but it's working! Thanks again :- D

Most reactions

Latest posts