What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I do this?

les2046

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm here because I just got my wife an iPad Air 2 (her 2nd iPad, she already has one of the original iPads running iOS 5.1), and I have a question.

I'm not an apple person. I'm quite computer literate, but I use Windows PC's. My wife, however, is basically a computer newbie, and always will be, I'm afraid (even though she's owned an iPad for a few years), so I'm her tech support for setting up her new iPad.

My question (and I'm sure there will be more) is, how do I transfer her Notes from the old iPad to her new one?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are in the Notes app of the iPad, they'll appear as soon as you set up the email account which she uses for her notes. Just make sure you don't delete them.

Also, backup the iPad. that's just a security measure to ascertain the notes won't get lost unintentionally.

OP
L

les2046

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, J. A.

But I don't quite understand it.

We don't (and won't) use iCloud, and the two ipads are in no way connected to each other (other than that they can both access my home network), so the new iPad can't see what's on the old one. Also, our email is through Comcast, and I've set up the iPad to access the Comcast server for email.

So basically, these are two stand-alone iPads, one of which has Notes that I'd like to transfer to the other (without transferring ANYTHING else).
Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks again.

OP
L

les2046

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dcharleyultra,
yes, they have the same Apple ID.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, J. A.

But I don't quite understand it.

We don't (and won't) use iCloud, and the two ipads are in no way connected to each other (other than that they can both access my home network), so the new iPad can't see what's on the old one. Also, our email is through Comcast, and I've set up the iPad to access the Comcast server for email.

So basically, these are two stand-alone iPads, one of which has Notes that I'd like to transfer to the other (without transferring ANYTHING else).
Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks again.
Notes are used with an email account. If you add the email account that is used for the notes on the first iPad to the new device, the notes will appear there as well.

In Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars take a look at your email account/s on her first iPad. Which one has Notes enabled? This account has to be added to the Air 2 to get the notes there as well.

OP
L

les2046

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, J. A.

On the first iPad, under Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars, the ONLY email account is the Comcast account. Under this account, there is NO option to enable Notes. Yet when she opens the Notes app, she can read and write notes with no problem, even when Notes is apparently not associated with her email account..

So I still can't understand your answer. If there's something specific that I have to do, please tell me.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So the notes she makes are just on her iPad. To get them to the second device, she could email them to herself, or send an email to you, if possible, and then open the note on the new device (in the Sent folder) and copy it to the Notes app. Or she sends them as message.

If her Comcast account is also her Apple ID, and doesn't allow enabling Notes, except for restoring the device from a backup with her notes, this is the only method I know to transfer them.

Last edited:

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if the old iPad is backed up to iTunes and then that backup restored to the new iPad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if the old iPad is backed up to iTunes and then that backup restored to the new iPad?
If the notes were on the old iPad when it was backed up, they'll be on the new iPad when it's restored from the backup of the old iPad.

OP
L

les2046

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'll address al of your answers...

J. A.: My wife's Comcast account is not the same as her Apple account (same user name, different passwords). Emailing the notes to herself seems promising, thanks.

dcharleyultra, scifan67: the problem with your suggestions is that if I restore the backup from the old iPad to the new iPad, I'll bring along a lot of stuff that I don't want on the new iPad. I've got the new iPad set up with the apps and photos that I want (actually that my wife wants), and all I want to do is transfer her notes to the new iPad. Apple makes this nearly impossible without using iCloud.

It becomes increasingly clear to me why I personally prefer PC's running Windows (or, for that matter, any other OS) to using an Apple product. Alas, my wife loves her iPad (go figure!), so I find myself on this path.

Thank you all again for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts