What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i print from ipad3 if my printer isnt compadible with airprint?

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can print to a USB printer connected to an Airport Express. I don't think the Airport Express has to be connected to the Internet.

This is an expensive option, but you did ask for 'any way'

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, it seems to me that we would need to have a wi-fi connection to use any of the solutions mentioned here so far.
Is there a way to print from an iPad to a printer without a wi-fi connection? I need to be able to print in places with no wi-fi access.

I believe I should be able to do this with a router. Is this correct?

Cheers!

One option is to get a laptop, a cable, and some drivers.

As far as the iPad is concerned, I seriously doubt there will every be a cable connection to it for printing. Even my home printer is on wifi now and I print from all my computers via my home network. At work, I print to a printer over a network. While it should be possible to print to a printer via bluetooth, I don't see it happening as people have settled on wifi.

One can certainly setup an internal wireless network using a router, but doing this without wifi just means you have another cable someplace else. No reason you can't take a printer and a router with you so you can have your own private wifi wherever you go.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found this video that explains what I mean by using a router. Has anyone tried this?
Setup a wireless mobile printer for iPad - print without internet - YouTube

No need to try it...it will work. this is what others have referred to before. You are basically using up a network with no connection to the internet. Most folks have this in their homes...the only difference here is this doesn't need a cable modem or whatever to get to the internet. The wifi in mosts folks house does this, but also has an internet connection. This just leaves that off. If you need to have mobile printing, then this is certainly an option.

Keep in mind that this is NOT what you asked above. This is using wifi.

deppo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same problem, very annoying. Why is Ipad so clunky regarding printing?? The answer for me was to first test for compatibility and then download fingerprint 2.0. Excellent fix, it runs from your pc/mac and acts as a print server. Easy to set up and cost me £14. Good luck.

Arvle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am printing wirelessly to my older non-AirPrint printers directly to their assigned IP addresses using PrintCentral App.

OP
B

bostinboggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's help and input. I should have said from the start I have an HP all in one. I downloaded the HP app and it prints test pages, so I know my iPad is making connection. One of the problems, when it asks me to add my email address, AOL is not an option to add. When I try to print directly from the email set up on the iPad, I get the error that is does not find an AirPrint compatible printer.

Arvle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bostinboggs said:
I appreciate everyone's help and input. I should have said from the start I have an HP all in one. I downloaded the HP app and it prints test pages, so I know my iPad is making connection. One of the problems, when it asks me to add my email address, AOL is not an option to add. When I try to print directly from the email set up on the iPad, I get the error that is does not find an AirPrint compatible printer.

Assign you printer a local IP address on the local network. Make sure your iPad and printer are connected to your wireless network. Download PrintCentral Pro App. Open a printable file on iPad then select Open In--select PrintCentral. (If you have 10 programs in the Open In drop down and PrintCentral id not listed, you will have to delete enough programs to allow PrintCentral to be listed. You can add other programs back later.)

Select the print icon in upper right corner an then select + symbol in lower left corner of printer selection window. Setup a new Wi-Fi Network printer using the IP address assigned to your Printer. You will be able to test different types of print drivers until one works. Have fun!

NandaDxb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HP e-print app can do the job but first you need to open the app, go to the application from where you want to print and then choose your work to print.
I have IPad2 and was able to print to my HP4500wireless which is NOT an Airprint device using some trick I got from the web ( by emulating Airprint ), but forgot how I did it !

After IOS5 upgrade on my IPad, I cant see the printer from options menu in my IPad applications like mail, safari etc,.....

Any help will be much appreciated.......

Sabriana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would you all confirm a very silly notion that I have regarding printing? I have an iPad and a wireless printer - however, the printer in NOT connected to any network other than the wifi network in the shop I work. In other words, the printer is NOT connected to a desktop. Is it possible for me to print to this printer from my iPad? My dinosaur thinking is saying NO! but I am relatively new to the world of Apple and want to be sure I am not giving up too soon. My printer is a Kodak Hero 3.1.
Thanks in advance.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Sabriana said:
Would you all confirm a very silly notion that I have regarding printing? I have an iPad and a wireless printer - however, the printer in NOT connected to any network other than the wifi network in the shop I work. In other words, the printer is NOT connected to a desktop. Is it possible for me to print to this printer from my iPad? My dinosaur thinking is saying NO! but I am relatively new to the world of Apple and want to be sure I am not giving up too soon. My printer is a Kodak Hero 3.1.
Thanks in advance.

As long as your printer is compatible with airprint yes. (Should be)

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

Most reactions

Latest posts