What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High res photos from iPad TO desktop pc?

nuonli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going on vacation with plans to move pictures from camera sd card to iPad via the camera connection kit, then delete card, so I can take more photos. But if I do that, can I then move the full res photos from my iPad to my home pc desktop for long term storage? How? And can I move full res photos from my iPad to an sd card via the connection kit?

Sorry, can't find the answer online ...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several ways to do this.

When you connect your iPad to your Windows computer via USB, it will show up as a USB drive. Just like a camera you will find your imported photos in the DCIM folder (under a subfolder I believe).

If you have a Mac, then you can use iPhoto or Image Capture to copy photos off the iPad. Aperture works too.

You can also use apps like PhotoSync to copy photos off your iPad to the computer using USB, Wi-Fi, or bluetooth.

And finally, if you need to off load some pictures before you get back home there are apps that will let you copy the pictures to various online sites like Photobucket, Flickr, and Picasa. Just be sure to use the full or original size settings.

OP
N

nuonli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! I thought it will be a lot harder, so thanks for the options!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As TP has already stated well, there are plenty of options for you! :)

But I was curious about your question of getting hi-res images off the iPad back onto your computer - I have the camera connection kit and have uploaded images to the iPad, and have e-mailed them to myself or to an online photo sharing site (I use SmugMug which has an iPad App).

So just did a little transferring of a single image: 1) First from my SD camera card to the iPad (5+ MB image of a local winery tasting room); 2) Second sync the iPad - photo did not appear in my usual folders; 3) Open Windows Explorer and found the iPad listed w/ a DCIM folder & subfolders, as already mentioned; and 4) Found the image at its original resolution and copied it to my computer - so quite doable if you want to go that route?

Attached are a screen capture of the W.E. window showing the location of photos on the iPad & a pic of the image I transferred (I had to reduce the size for upload but copied to my computer's HD as a 5+ MB image).

BTW - I have a 2 GB SD card in my digital camera - multiple & larger SD cards can also be a solution. Good luck & enjoy your vacation!

Attachments

• iPadTransfer.JPG
    iPadTransfer.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 398
  • RaffaldiniTRoom.jpg
    RaffaldiniTRoom.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 436

Notso25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah good call Giradman I found that too and all those little packets seem to be each download you have done
What I did was download three cameras to IPad edit out the rubbish and then transfer the photos to sub folders each night. We are talking 1000 photos in total over four weeks.

So when I did what you suggest I could see all the packets from each days down loads. So 3 cameras x 25 days =75 packets/folders

BUT where we're the folders I made with all of the like material sorted together and no junk? Nowhere to be seen as far as I could determine.

Do you have any ideas on that. As others have said it is extraordinary that Apple haven't addressed this

Also there is a trick to set up a USB stick with a folder called DCIM and the IPad thinks it is a camera and you can see that. This trick allows you to put large photos on the IPad but I can't see anyway to select photos and put them in the folder that the IPad is thinking is a camera.

So you might have some ideas on that too.

Most reactions

Latest posts