What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the competition

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the bickering. It's a senseless waste of time. I have to wonder though about the motives of registered users on an iPad forum that continually bash the iPad or extol another device simply to elicit negative response. To me this is a simple case of trolling no matter how intelligently the supposed argument is presented.

Isn't there a whiner’s forum somewhere on the other side of the internet?

So everyone registered on an iPad forum has to say nothing but positive things and not discuss any competitors to the iPad or talk about what features they would like the iPad 2 to have? iPad owners aren't allowed to be unhappy with their purchase and be vocal about looking forward to a newer and better product?

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree, it only seems like bickering if you don't see the relevance of competition to the iPad. I believe the competition is going to make the products better for the consumers. While it is true a few people get into a religious fervor when stating their case, I don't believe that makes the discussion less relevant.

It doesn't seem like bickering, it is bickering. And it's not the objective, logical kind, but moreso the 'my d**k is bigger than yours' drivel. I've never been a fanboy of anything, I buy what I like and can afford, and don't develop some kind of fetish or attachment to an inanimate object.

Last edited:

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Superbike81 said:
So everyone registered on an iPad forum has to say nothing but positive things and not discuss any competitors to the iPad or talk about what features they would like the iPad 2 to have? iPad owners aren't allowed to be unhappy with their purchase and be vocal about looking forward to a newer and better product?

Of course not. We all have some complaints about the device. No device is perfect. But a search of your posts doesn't indicate the kind of constructive discourse you are referring to. What you have is an agenda - promote and glorify Android at the expense of iDevices. If you doubt me, just look at all of your posts.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, look at all of my posts. Look back further than you did. I've been on this site since launch, and in the beginning, I LOVED my iPad, now I just kinda like it but am more frustrated than I was initially.

My agenda isn't to simply promote Android devices, it's just to get the idea out there to other people disappointed with the iPad that they do have other options. There are quite a few people that I know in person and on this forum who are in the "I buy Apple and nothing but Apple" camp, and they need to realize that blind brand loyalty is inhibiting their user experience.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Of course not. We all have some complaints about the device. No device is perfect. But a search of your posts doesn't indicate the kind of constructive discourse you are referring to. What you have is an agenda - promote and glorify Android at the expense of iDevices. If you doubt me, just look at all of your posts.

I'm afraid I still don't see a problem, aside from the idea being proposed that people should limit their negative posts to a certain number, or have them approved by you and The Alternative.

I've never understood the tenacity with which people cling to threads they don't like, or the impulse to announce to all and sundry their disinterest in a topic. This place generates about 200 new threads a day, and on a good day I'm interested in ~10. I don't go into the other 190 and announce they're crap, uninteresting, and the participants particularly dimwitted. I move on.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are quite a few people that I know in person and on this forum who are in the "I buy Apple and nothing but Apple" camp, and they need to realize that blind brand loyalty is inhibiting their user experience.
...according to your standards!

Where you get into trouble is assuming that you know what is best for other people. I think this is why some members might be having a problem with some of your posts.

And while you continue on your one man crusade to alert the world of the evils the lurk at One Infinite Loop, I ask you to remember that this is not your private forum. This is a privately owned forum that was started to provide a venue for discussing ways of maximizing the utility and enjoyment of... the iPad. If your agenda is anything else, you are going to continue to meet with resistance.

If you think people made a bad choice in selecting the iPad, that is certainly your right to think as much, but this would be like me going to a Mustang forum and telling them that if they really want the best American sports car, then they should dump their POS cars and get a Corvette! How long do you think I would last over there?

If you are interested, the company that owns this forum also owns a Droid forum: Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones: Motorola Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Incredible and Droid Eris

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are quite a few people that I know in person and on this forum who are in the "I buy Apple and nothing but Apple" camp, and they need to realize that blind brand loyalty is inhibiting their user experience.
...according to your standards!

Where you get into trouble is assuming that you know what is best for other people. I think this is why some members might be having a problem with some of your posts.

And while you continue on your one man crusade to alert the world of the evils the lurk at One Infinite Loop, I ask you to remember that this is not your private forum. This is a privately owned forum that was started to provide a venue for discussing ways of maximizing the utility and enjoyment of... the iPad. If your agenda is anything else, you are going to continue to meet with resistance.

If you think people made a bad choice in selecting the iPad, that is certainly your right to think as much, but this would be like me going to a Mustang forum and telling them that if they really want the best American sports car, then they should dump their POS cars and get a Corvette! How long do you think I would last over there?

If you are interested, the company that owns this forum also owns a Droid forum: Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones: Motorola Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Incredible and Droid Eris

Blind loyalty inhibits the user experience by anyone's standard. If you aren't willing to at least consider a competing product you might be missing out. Comparing a Mustang and a Corvette is not the same as comparing an Android tablet and the iPad. A better motorsports analogy would be comparing a sports car (Android) to a motorcycle (iPad) because by going with the motorcycle you lose much of the functionality offered by the sports car. The motorcycle may do some things better, but the overall experience is more complete with the sports car.

I don't own a Droid, I own an iPad, and until I no longer own an iPad, I will hang around. I am active over on Android Central already which covers all Android devices.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aside from the oft-topic threads that fall into personality clashes....this is a very entertaining thread. It reminds me of the conversations that was on the boards a year ago, when there was a lot of conversation about the coming iPad tablet. Those were exciting days, and it seems with the advent of the new Android based tablets coming our way in the next few months, the excitement continues!

Will the product releases by companies like Motorola meet the same kind of enthusiasm? I hope so, I'm especially hopeful for the Motorola Xoom--it would be great to see Motorola back in the technology conversation. I hope there are lines around the block when the release date for the Motorola Xoom is announced. I want to see the same kind of reaction to the Motorola Xoom's availability like the crowds that greeted the general release of the iPad. Did anyone notice when the Samsung Galaxy Tab was released? I didn't. You can go to Best Buy and still see people spending time looking at the iPad, while the Galaxy Tab hardly gets a glance.

So far, this conversation is about vapor-ware vs the iPad, and that is a really hard position to be in, one is already in the hands of millions of people while the other is still in the design and development labs. I am looking forward to the day the Motorola Xoom is available. I'm planning on getting one. It will be great to be able to contrast and compare the iPad with the Xoom.

On another level, if the Motorola Xoom is as successful as the iPad (I wish it was so) can you all see the irony of this product being built and manufactured by a company that is only 10 days old but has the history and legacy of an 82 year old company? (For those of you who don't know, the Motorola Xoom product is from a company that was spun off from the Motorola Company. On January 04, 2011, Motorola became two companies: Motorola Mobility Inc (MMI) and Motorola Solutions Inc (MSI). Shareholders on record in December 2010, got one share of MMI and MSI for eight shares of Motorola (more or less). I would love to see MMI's shares rise in value as the same lofty levels of APPL.)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge others points of view and opinions, but do so respectively and thoughtfully.

The next personal attack or inappropriate comment closes this thread.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad. The better computer.

Sorry, that's not spin. That's fact.

And the second point starts with the word 'if', as to put it in perspective as to just how many Apple products are in the hands of consumers.

Did Apple not pass Microsoft last year in market capitalization? That's fact, not spin.

Not to mince words, but the ipad is a tablet computer, no? Does it compute? Yes. Docs, spreadsheets, presentations? Yes. Surf the web, check email, ect.. Yes.

Is it a full fledged OSX machine? Of course not, but does that disqualify the ipad from being a tablet computer? Not at all. Are net books considered computers? Of course! Yet most are so much slower at performing the same tasks compared to an iPad.

Regardless of whether or not an iPad is or is not a "computer", Apple is still currently the third largest CPU manufacturer in the US.

How are any of these statements anything but raw factual data?

They're spin because they require changing or ignoring context for impact. Apple is the 3rd largest pc maker in the US, but that doesn't translate to a significant portion of the US computer market, where they're still less than 10%. Just because the market is dominated by non-US computer makers doesn't make Apple more relevant - they're a minnow, and putting them in a fish bowl rather than a lake doesn't change that.

And their CPU production is mostly for mobile devices, rather than computers.

The fact that 75% of the college market owns Macs - how much of the total market is that? Apple has 100% of the epb tablet market - shall I issue a press release? A company can't dominate the PC market selling home computers - the big money is in making machines for business, where Apple has always been marginal. Their own "Mac v. PC" ads tout this very fact - in almost every commercial, Justin Long explains that the Mac is better for fun like movies and iLife, the PC better for work like spreadsheets and databases.

And the iPad runs the exact same OS as the iPhone, so if the iPad is a computer, what is the iPhone4, which has the exact same functional capacity, more memory and more RAM? A mini-tablet?

In order to make your "if" statement work, you've got to change the context of what a computer is from the accepted definitions, the old "that depends on what your definition of is is" - which is spin.

Netbooks aren't as powerful as workstations but they're considerably more powerful and flexible than the iPad because they're capable of running a full OS.

A full computer is capable of accepting input (working with data and myriad files, accepting media input via differing sources and such) and generating output/content (printing, writing to media) - both areas where the iPad is weaker than any netbook. These functions were kept rudimentary for the sake of simplicity, and because it's designed primarily as a playback device - to show, rather than create.

Years ago, at the end of a relationship, a girl said "I thought we could still be friends." I replied "yeah, the thing is, you're not a good friend."

You can argue the iPad is a computer, but you can't claim it's a good one.

For many, it's not only a good one, but a better one.

Your paradigm is based on your needs and uses, and each person will have their own uses and perspectives.

You make good points, but making additional points that are superferlous to my original post doesn't change that those points made were indeed fact. In a fish bowl or in an ocean, they are what they are. Contextually, you make good points, but I wasn't giving commentary or driving a secondary point. Just the points themselves, which are true.

Now, in the good hopes of getting this thread back on track, I won't deliberate any of the other responses, however, your subjective/objective view on the iPhone being a mini tablet based on using the same OS is flawed. You could run iWork on an iPhone, but it's not offered, not because it couldn't do it, but because it wouldn't make any sense using something that small for that kind of application. You could run windows xP on an iPhone4, but that wouldn't make it any more a computer than a netbook. There are more capable computers than others, but is that to say that my windows 7 PC that sits unplugged is a "better" computer than the iPad that is used daily? Hardly by my definition. Being more capable doesn't make it more useful. If anything, it's less useful, despite all of the things it can do that my iPad can't. That makes my iPad the "better" computer.

Most reactions

Latest posts