What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the competition

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hard drive, flash and USB are old technologies The world is moving towards flash drives and HTML5. Just take a look at Apple Mac Air.

They are all very much still current though. I want to use my device today, not tomorrow.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps, however I would not place the mentioned old technologies as bases for future Apple products and compare current products as better or superior. Unlike PC which has always look at the rear view mirror. Just move on.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well considering that according to the most recent studies 40% of America is functionally illiterate (meaning they can't fully comprehend material beyond a 6th grade level) it's no doubt that such simple devices are such great sellers.

Oh, and no, that's not a personal attack, it's an attack on the American education system.

WOW! Just WOW! I would like to see this evidence that 40% of America is functionally illiterate before wild claims are made.

Further, perhaps you could enlighten us with the empirical connection of "Simple" device users--I presume this means Apple products--to this study.

A quick Google search will lead you to your answer. Just do a query for functional illiteracy and you will see some pretty shocking statistics.

I never said all Apple products are overly simple, just the iOS products.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps, however I would not place the mentioned old technologies as bases for future Apple products and compare current products as better or superior. Unlike PC which has always look at the rear view mirror. Just move on.

USB is far from dead. FireWire, which for some damn reason Apple still won't drop, is dead.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've said on a few occasions that I understand why Apple are taking this stance with Flash and trying to move the world to a safer, more efficient alternative is applaudable but in the meantime it inhibits the functionality of IOS devices.
Don't get me wrong, I can easily live without Flash on my iPad even though it would still be a nice option.
I find things like lack of USB support a little harder though and it is the sum of all these things that will most likely push me towards an alternative device provided the hardware and UI are otherwise comparable.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
xune said:
Fact:

-Apple is currently the number three computer manufacturer in the US.

-If the iPad were categorized as a computer, Apple would be the #1 computer manufacturer in the US.

-Nearly 3/4 college students in the US are using macs.

Those facts pretty much all qualify as spin, and fall down under any close analysis. To even try to categorize the iPad as a computer - that's desperate.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Conversation is not about USB. It is about future of technology.

Maybe you have a DeLorean and go 88mph, but the rest of us don't live in the future, we live RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW USB is the most commonly used external interface, Flash is the most common multimedia experience on the web, and hard drives are very very very common.

Yeah, the future sounds cool, but guess what, every 6 months technology goes obsolete anyways, so if you are constantly living waiting for the future tech, you will never fully enjoy what we have now.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your unofficial response of 40 percent of Americans are uneducated and Delorean is a cheap shot to make your point.just come down.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
Fact:

-Apple is currently the number three computer manufacturer in the US.

-If the iPad were categorized as a computer, Apple would be the #1 computer manufacturer in the US.

-Nearly 3/4 college students in the US are using macs.

Those facts pretty much all qualify as spin, and fall down under any close analysis. To even try to categorize the iPad as a computer - that's desperate.

Sorry, that's not spin. That's fact.

And the second point starts with the word 'if', as to put it in perspective as to just how many Apple products are in the hands of consumers.

Did Apple not pass Microsoft last year in market capitalization? That's fact, not spin.

Not to mince words, but the ipad is a tablet computer, no? Does it compute? Yes. Docs, spreadsheets, presentations? Yes. Surf the web, check email, ect.. Yes.

Is it a full fledged OSX machine? Of course not, but does that disqualify the ipad from being a tablet computer? Not at all. Are net books considered computers? Of course! Yet most are so much slower at performing the same tasks compared to an iPad.

Regardless of whether or not an iPad is or is not a "computer", Apple is still currently the third largest CPU manufacturer in the US.

How are any of these statements anything but raw factual data?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your unofficial response of 40 percent of Americans are uneducated and Delorean is a cheap shot to make your point.just come down.

Do a Google search, you will see, 50% can't read/write at an 8th grade level.

Answer the question please...... do you live in the future?

Most of us don't, we look forward to it, but we enjoy technologies that are available to us for use right now.

You know what's also an old technology, the internal combustion engine, but it runs our world, just like technologies like USB currently dominate the computer world.

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rogatsby said:
That analogy doesn't work because the Mac market share is so minuscule, and it always has been. iOS is a different story.

So because the Mac has a small market share you argue that it doesn't count as an example of OS market share?

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

rogatsby said:
The iPhone and the iPad are the best-selling devices in their respective classes, by far. And it'll stay that way.

Except that iPhone is not and never has been: http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1466313

We call this the "ignore the facts that don't agree with your theory" argument.

Unless you are specifically talking about the market share of "smart phones that are designed by companies with headquarters in Cupertino, CA." In which case, yea you go us on that one.

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if iPhone is the best seller in its 'class', that does not say anything about the product itself.

American Idol was an extremely popular show, does that make it the greatest show ever? No. It was crap.

The Ford Taurus and Toyota Camry were the best selling automobiles for years, does that make them the best car out there? LOL...we all know the answer to this.

eltos_lightfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well considering that according to the most recent studies 40% of America is functionally illiterate (meaning they can't fully comprehend material beyond a 6th grade level) it's no doubt that such simple devices are such great sellers.

Oh, and no, that's not a personal attack, it's an attack on the American education system.

WOW! Just WOW! I would like to see this evidence that 40% of America is functionally illiterate before wild claims are made.

Further, perhaps you could enlighten us with the empirical connection of "Simple" device users--I presume this means Apple products--to this study.

A quick Google search will lead you to your answer. Just do a query for functional illiteracy and you will see some pretty shocking statistics.

I never said all Apple products are overly simple, just the iOS products.

I am not the one making the BS claim, you are...so quote some sources.

On what planet is simple a bad thing? I don't have to research problems endlessly because it just works...

Most reactions

Latest posts