What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this is weird......

Yesterday when I first noticed some of my notes had disappeared I opened the Mail App on the iPad and noticed there was no folder named Notes.
This morning I went to my Laptop, loaded up my BT Yahoo Mail application and found again there was no Notes folder in my list of folders.

Anyway, I decided heck what is there to lose so have just installed the Yahoo Mail App on my iPad.
So, with it loaded I went straight to the folders and guess what..... There to my amazement was a folder named Notes and on looking inside I found all of my notes I had generated with the iPad Notes App using the BTMail account.

Okay, I now have all my notes back but what puzzles me is why does both the iPads Mail App and my Laptops Yahoo mail App not show the Notes folder yet the Yahoo App now on my iPad does?

Is this a case for Mulder & Scully?

Lol! Who knows! I'm just glad you got your notes back, as I'm sure you are!

Loved Mulder and Scully btw. ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad Mail app deliberately hides the Notes folder that it uses for syncing notes. If you edit/delete or otherwise mess with the items in this folder you can easily lose the notes altogether. It's far easier to hide a folder that you are not supposed to manage directly than to put big red letters on it saying (Don't Mess With This).

As you noticed, Apple can't hide the folder when you look at it with a different app or site. Sometimes this comes in handy. You can copy notes from this folder for other reason. Using a combination of GMail's Notes folder and IFTTT it's possible to create an Evernote log of all your Notes as a kind of back up and history. I describe how to do this in this thread. You could do something similar with DropBox.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad Mail app deliberately hides the Notes folder that it uses for syncing notes. If you edit/delete or otherwise mess with the items in this folder you can easily lose the notes altogether. It's far easier to hide a folder that you are not supposed to manage directly than to put big red letters on it saying (Don't Mess With This).

As you noticed, Apple can't hide the folder when you look at it with a different app or site. Sometimes this comes in handy. You can copy notes from this folder for other reason. Using a combination of GMail's Notes folder and IFTTT it's possible to create an Evernote log of all your Notes as a kind of back up and history. I describe how to do this in this thread. You could do something similar with DropBox.

Sorry but I don't agree with the folder should be hid. Sure if you mess with it you will get problems so common sense prevails but lets face it, if the notes are being deleted there is an issue somewhere so you need an ability to access the deleted notes. Make it full proof and not deleted and I will then accept stored notes on a servers Notes folder should not be messed with.
Besides, we are not taking about editing or deleting items from this folder, simply copying the contents just like you would from say a web page which for obvious reasons you can not edit or delete content from the page. At the very least Apple should allow you to see notes to copy the content within.

I for one am pleased the likes of the Yahoo Mail App allowed me to see the Notes folder. The second I accessed those files it gave me the opportunity to backup all the files to Evernote should this happen again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not really defending the notion, only guessing why Apple chose to do it this way, and speculating in general, because I'm in the mood for it. But, it is, after all, Apple's MO, to hide the nuts and bolts when possible. Especially if they are easily broken.

The Notes folder in email is a poor workaround at any rate. It's basically flawed. Unfortunately it's also not easily fixed. At least not for non-iCloud services.

It's what Apple originally chose with it's own OS X Mail app; where the folder was accessible but also safely editable (because they could could control what happened. It also made sense, because the Notes function was a part of Mail, not a separate app. This legacy is why Apple (probably) chose to sync Notes on the iPad this way.

When Apple introduced Notes in OS X (the desktop) and in iCloud, they did away with the Notes folder syncing. It's a huge improvement.

However; there is no standard that lets them do the same thing with Yahoo! and GMail. While these services have their own Notes functions, they don't offer a way to sync. Or at least they don't offer an internet standards way of syncing notes (if there is such a thing). Though, in the case of Google, I suppose they might be able to do something with Google Drive.

So, we are left with what is basically a legacy workaround for those services. Whether it should be hidden or not is a personal thing. Some people hate the idea of not being able to do anything they want. Other's would prefer at least the illusion of simplicity. You can't please everyone.

Your argument for keeping it visible has merit. However, in most cases when Notes disappear from the Notes app, they disappear from the synced folders as well. It's rare that they can be recovered from there. And as for editing the notes in the Notes folders, I recommend you don't. The files stored in that folder are not standard emails. It's very easy to wreck the formatting if you edit them in the email app, and make them useless in the Notes app.

For myself, I don't depend on the Notes app. Of all the app Apple has provided on iOS, it has got the worst history for losing data. Much of that is probably because of the way it syncs data with folders in other services/apps that it can not prevent from being corrupted by those services and apps. Not that iCloud Notes have been doing much better. Cloud services is still something Apple has problems with.

The Notes-IFTTT-Evernote trick I mentioned isn't really about backing up my Notes for me (though you can do that). It's a way of being able to dictate short notes (in a log form) into Evernote using Siri.

Anyway, I babble on and on.

Most reactions

Latest posts