What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with LOOKUP / MATCH on Numbers please

chezlong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Very new to this kind of thing. Using information on here I've been learning my way around Numbers, creating dropdown menus. However, I've been asked to create LOOKUP on Numbers (I can't even do that kind of thing on Excel!) to show the following:
If A1=XXXX, show options A2=123, A3=12, A4=456 etc
If A1=YYYY, show options A2=qwe, A3=rty, A4=uio etc

What formula(s) should I be using? Do I need a new worksheet like I would in Excel with all the possible scenarios on it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

C

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can you describe what you are trying to do in more detail. I'm not sure I understand. Once I'm sure I know what's supposed to happen it will still take me a while to look into it.

I've use search-like features in Numbers before, as an experiment, but I don't remember enough to offer advice off the top of my head.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You haven't added any details. Did you manage to figure it out yourself?

I did go back and review the spreadsheet I created using the LOOKUP formula. It was an idea I had about searching a table for songs and getting the album and track number as results.

Turned out it wasn't practical, but I did figure out how to use LOOKUP, make it work after a fashion. The main reason it doesn't work is the search term needs to be an exact match, or the results are unreliable.

Most reactions

Latest posts