What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a rip from DVD to iPad compatible format

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morning Lee,

I'm in the same boat as many on this thread. Never had a need to rip any DVD's until the iPad waltzed into my life.

Last night I purchased Winx DVD Platinum (29.95), that will take a DVD (encrypted or not) and take it right to mp4. Seems to me that it's a one stop shop. One click to mp4 solution.

Now, I ran my first movie last night. So, I haven't been able to move it to iPad yet. However, I can't figure out why it won't work.

We'll see, but you might want to look into Winx DVD. They have a free version, but if you have any copyright protected media, it won't rip those, you have to purchase the upgrade.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

M

ipadfans

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'm on PC. And whereas I'd LOVE to have a free program to rip and convert DVD's to something iPad friendly, I'm also not adverse to paying for something that will actually work. And I'm not talking about a program that requires a PhD in technology to decipher: I want something simple and one step, i.e., open the program, pop in a disc, tell the program to convert it, walk away and come back to a completed project that actually works with no further hassle.

Does such a thing exist?

I can tell you the answer is yes. My recommendation to you is that after checking the tech forum and my own experience tells the most easy and stable converter would be Cucusoft dvd to ipad converter, it is not free converter like handbrake, however it does't required high degree of converter knowleadge and IT skills (I heard that even some IT geeks with phd degree having hassles with hanbrake) so by chipping some bucks, less than 30 bucks, you can have mind rested and get things done well, ie, your money will be paid off. TO get a cucusoft DVD to iPad Converter for window: DVD to iPad Converter - - iPad Converter, for mac version: DVD to iPad Converter for Mac - - iPad Converter

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions, Gentlemen. I got antsy and purchased a copy of 123CopyDVD Gold ... after all, the box said it would do everything I needed :rolleyes:. I just got the opportunity to try it. After several hours of pre-processing and then converting, it flashed a screen that said the conversion was successful (I thought I'd try Apple TV vs. iPod) -- but I'll be darned if I know where it went! It never gave me the option of where to save the file, and I did a "search" and can't find it.

Like I said, I don't mind paying $$$ for something that works, but I'm getting tired of spending the money on stuff that *doesn't* work.

Are you happy with what you purchased?

ipadfans

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions, Gentlemen. I got antsy and purchased a copy of 123CopyDVD Gold ... after all, the box said it would do everything I needed :rolleyes:. I just got the opportunity to try it. After several hours of pre-processing and then converting, it flashed a screen that said the conversion was successful (I thought I'd try Apple TV vs. iPod) -- but I'll be darned if I know where it went! It never gave me the option of where to save the file, and I did a "search" and can't find it.

Like I said, I don't mind paying $$$ for something that works, but I'm getting tired of spending the money on stuff that *doesn't* work.

Are you happy with what you purchased?

Totally agree with what you said, mate! money can save lots of time sometimes, however, you should buy the right software instead...

So far, my experience with DVD to iPad Converter - - iPad Converter is very good, no hussle at all and I can't be more happy with it.

LeeB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally agree with what you said, mate! money can save lots of time sometimes, however, you should buy the right software instead...

So far, my experience with DVD to iPad Converter - - iPad Converter is very good, no hussle at all and I can't be more happy with it.

OK, last night I purchased the program ... "assuming" that if it was for iPad alone, that it would be what I needed with no problems. The registration key was a bit late in arriving, but that's OK: it got here. Then I tried to copy Avatar. It worked, but it brought it down in 3 installments, not one continuous movie. And that's not acceptable. I haven't had the opportunity to check their website yet to see what happened, but if you have any suggestions ... ?

I finally figured out the 123CopyDVD ... it works, but if I use the settings for Apple TV, it won't copy to the iPad (iTunes says it's not the right kind of file), and if I use settings for iTouch, it pixilates badly (difference in screen size?)

I had high hopes for a converter that was iPad specific, but not if it splits the movie.

aRJedi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest ripping it to AVI using a number of free programs that are out there. There was a site I frequented before that had EVERYTHING you need including programs and how-to's to rip everything to any format.

My personal suggestion after ripping your videos to avi format is to get the AirVideo app from the appstore. At 2.99, it's a steal at twice the price. That way, you have access to ALL your videos without the inconvenience of filling up the storage of the iPad.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
check out the new sponsors software, it may be good for those who dont know much about computers or want to do several steps to rip dvd to ipad.

company is xilisoft

try the free trial and see if you like it. The process of ripping from dvd to ipad cant be made any simpler. However I think the framerate may be a little less than other rippers. run the free trial and see for yourself if its ok.

john302

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can download ipad converter to convert dvd to ipad,do not believe the software for free,I have tried couple of times,does not work.I recommend you a nice one,hope it would help.
ipad-videoconverter.org

HaroldOhio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use DVD Catalyst 3 to convert DVD's to iPad
The program is very simple to use but costs $10. I'am 63 and if I can use this software anyone can. Converted Harry Potter movie last night. This program is for PC.

Go to tools4movies

There is a free trial version.

Once the movie is ripped go to iTunes and load it to your iPad. Select File, Add File to Library, point to the folder and the movie and click ok. Synnc your iPad and the movie wil be there on your iPad

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MakeMkv beta to rip the DVD to an MKV file, then convert that to m4v using handbrake - I use the universal setting as I use the video on my phone, iPad, and AppleTV. Both bits of software are free, and it's all fairly straightforward to use.

MakeMkv ripped my DVD copy of avatar without any issues, and bizarrely the only DVD it took a little longer with was an ancient copy of A Few Good Men which obviously has some obscure copy protection! Still got through it in the end though.

Spectral

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got same problem to

Besides handbrake, do we have another option? Handbrake good enough but not faster enough. Cmiiw tq

Most reactions

Latest posts